Man arrested for throat-cutting incident

A Columbia man was arrested on suspicion of cutting the throat of a woman on Jan. 31. The woman, whose name has not been released, is in stable condition at a local hospital, according to a news release.

Kenneth Stapleton, 54, is accused of cutting the throat of a female victim. Police responded to a call from the 200 block of Sanford Avenue around 5:56 p.m. in reference to a female who had been assaulted and was bleeding from the neck, according to a news release from the Columbia Police Department.

“The victim and Stapleton were not in a relationship at the time of the incident,” CPD Sgt. Ken Hammond said.

According to the news release, Stapleton was in a “heated” argument with the victim before the incident. Witnesses then saw Stapleton “produce a razor and slash the victim’s neck,” court documents said.

Stapleton left the scene after the assault, but the victim identified him as her attacker.

As stated in court documents, Stapleton’s fiancé, told police she witnessed Stapleton’s attack and provided information that lead officers to a residence on Sanford Avenue.

Stapleton was found hiding beneath a mattress in the rear of the residence and was found with an extendable razor knife with what appeared to be fresh blood on it, according to court documents.

“Stapleton did not fight with officers during his arrest,” Hammond said.

Stapleton later admitted to assaulting the victim, but said she provoked him.

The victim is currently hospitalized at a local hospital after surgery, according to the news release. Police cannot release details of the victim’s condition at this time, Hammond said.