MOVE's Best of the Year: Movies

Top Five Movies

1) "The Dark Knight"

Both the writers of this movie and what Heath Ledger did with the material made it not only one of the best superhero movies of all time but also the best movie of the year.

2) "WALL-E"

While not as cuddly as Nemo, WALL-E's visually stunning adventure is filled with so much heart that not cheering for him to succeed is impossible.

3) "Sex and the City"

Those who don't understand why people love the series and movie will always dislike it, but for the fans, nothing was more fun this year than getting to spend two-and-a-half more hours with their four favorite ladies.

4) "Iron Man"

Robert Downey Jr. shines in the lead role of the second best superhero movie of the year, and its success promises a sequel and possibly an upcoming "Avengers" movie.

5) "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"

The best comedy of the year involved a Dracula musical with puppets, full-frontal male nudity, an arrogant British pop star and lots of Hawaiian shirts.  What more could someone ask for?

Five Most Overhyped Movies

1) "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"

Nearly 20 years after the original, expectations were huge for this new adventure and it didn't have the same magic as the older three.

2) "Twilight"

Millions of tween girls had been looking forward to this adaptation from the best-selling book of the same name. Unfortunately, the heavily played trailer was better than the horribly directed mess that appeared on screen.

3) "The Dark Knight"

Heath Ledger's death guaranteed this film's success, and while an excellent film, the hype was greater than the film itself.

4) "Speed Racer"

Proof that great actors don't necessarily make a great movie, this dud didn't even leave the starting line.

5) "X-Files: I Want to Believe"

Five years after the end of the hit show, the film could have been a great homage to the legions of dedicated fans, as well as a great film. The latter of the two did not happen.

Top Five Guilty Pleasure Movies

1) "High School Musical 3: Senior Year"

Say what you will about the franchise, but at the end of the day this is what everyone wishes high school was like.  Also, those kids can dance.

2) "Sex and the City"

Couture dresses, designer shoes, handsome men, a fantastic Mexican vacation and the four coolest ladies of all time.  How could you not see it and wish this was your life?

3) "Baby Mama"

It is a light, fun, sweet comedy with heart, and Tina Fey proves she is the best thing since electricity.

4) "The House Bunny"

Anyone who has ever had any contact with Greek Life will get a laugh from this cheesy, campy romp that lacks a well-thought-out plot, but not fun.

5) "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"

Alhough Indy is never as good as when he is battling the Nazis, this movie had every boy and his father dying to see what Indiana has been up to all these years.

Top Five Movies

1) "WALL-E"

If you would have approached us last New Year's Day and told us that the most intimately charming film of the year was a CG love story about a robot who doesn't really talk, we would have called nonsense. We retrospectively apologize for our ignorance. We were still kind of tipsy.

2) "The Dark Knight"

Proving the first in Christopher Nolan's take on Bruce and the bat was no fluke, this summer blockbuster brought an even more noir feel to Gotham City while living up to its own hype and letting America say a fond farewell to a friend.

3) "4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days"

While not exactly an uplifting tale (a quest for a late-term, illegal abortion during the final days of Communist Romania), Cristian Mungiu's film is an aesthetic masterpiece that captures equal parts internal and external journey in a way that both moves and haunts you like few films you ever see can do so.

4) "Paranoid Park"

Gus Van Sant's continual exploration of the psychology of adolescence hits a high-water mark in this Portland, Ore.-based film about the turmoil of a young skater wrapped up in a murder mystery.

5) "Pineapple Express"

Stoner comedy + Seth Rogen + odd catapult vehicle for "Paper Planes" + blowing up lots of shit = 111 minutes of uninterrupted visual buzz.

Top Five Movie Lines

1) "Pineapple Express" (Dale Denton)

"It was bound to happen, next year you are going off to college, you are gonna meet all these new people and start listening to bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor and get really into The Shins, and fuck a couple chicks and become a lesbian and it will be over for us, so fuck it."

2) "Tropic Thunder" (Kirk Lazarus)

"Everybody knows you never go full retard."

3) "Role Models" (Danny Donahue)

"No, venti is 20. Large is large. In fact, tall is large and grande is Spanish for large. Venti is the only one that doesn't mean large. It's also the only one that's Italian. Congratulations, you're stupid in three languages."

4) "WALL-E" (WALL-E)

"WALL-E."

5. "The Dark Knight" (The Joker)

"Why so serious?"

Top Five Underrated Films

1) "Role Models"

This movie had more laughs than any film in 2008. Period. It had no right to make this claim and had one of the most tired plots of the year, but it rolls past this and salvages a near-Apatowian mix of genuine warmth and boobie humor, making the strongest case yet for Paul Rudd to be the true leading man he has always shied away from being.

2) "Be Kind, Rewind"

We usually shy away from challenges, but if you consider yourself a lover of cinema we dare you not to enjoy this film. And check the "Rush Hour 2" remake: golden.

3) "Cloverfield"

An unexpected source for the most stylistically interesting film of the year. This thriller never lets you look away for even a moment because you don't know what you're actually looking at for much of the film.

4) "Ghost Town"

While not the best performance deadpan Brit Ricky Gervais has given, his exploration of death shows an uncharacteristic earnestness while serving as a solid introduction to the American mainstream for the master of awkward comedy.

5) "The Strangers"

For once in the past 12 months, a movie was just as scary as its previews were. "The Strangers," in which Liv Tyler plays not an elf but a disgruntled girlfriend unnecessarily attacked by, well, strangers, is cross-generation proof that our parents were right.

WALL-E vs. Wale

WALL-E and Wale both got a lot of love in our "Best Of" issue. As you, our astute reader, might note, their names are very similar. Also, one is from the future while the other has been billed the future of hip-hop. To prevent further confusion we thought we would break down some of their key differences.

Footwear:

Wale: black Nike boots

WALL-E: black unlabeled treads (we'll assume the Dick's Sporting Goods off-brand)

View on Technology:

Wale: Pro (built career largely off Internet mixtapes and MySpace)

WALL-E: Anti (causes unrequited love with Eve, generally is the bane of his existence)

Where they rep:

Wale: Washington D.C. (with Nigerian parents)

WALL-E: Greater planet Earth (specifics never mentioned, but his affinity for musicals and Dipset affliation have MOVE's money on New York)

Best otherworldly friends:

Wale: Justice, Lil Wayne

WALL-E: Eve

Biggest musical influences:

Wale: Jay-Z, Black Thought

WALL-E: Gene Kelly, Barbra Streisand

Go-to dance move:

Wale: W.A.L.E.D.A.N.C.E.

WALL-E: space hoedown

Beef with one another:

Wale: mistaken identity ("My name's Wale - don't say Wall-e")

WALL-E: Never covers "Hello Dolly" at live shows