Best of the Year: Culture

Best reactions to Kanye West's VMA douchebaggery

1. Beyoncé Beyoncé's reaction to Mr. West's awful interruption of Taylor Swift during the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards, on her behalf, was as classy as it gets.
  2. President Obama If your President and fellow Chicagoan calls you a jackass, you should probably reconsider including a half-empty Hennessy bottle in your next red carpet ensemble.
  3. Jay Leno Props to Leno for this Kanye-ego deflating question the night after his epic douchebaggery: "I was fortunate enough to meet your mom, and talk with your mom a number of years ago. What do you think she would have said about this?" Kanye's response? More than ten seconds of silence.
  4. Online parodies We've all seen them. Those pictures of Kanye photoshopped over a picture of something entirely different with the now infamous line, "I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but ___ had the best ____ of ALL TIME! OF ALL TIME!"
  5. Pink and 50 Cent Alongside a host of other celebrities denouncing Kanye West's actions at the VMAs, Pink and 50 Cent both threatened Kanye with physical violence if he tried to steal their moment on stage.

--AB

Best aspects of Lady Gaga

1. Outrageous fashion Kermit the Frog dresses, full-lace face masks, gyroscope hat contraptions, bubble dresses, even barely opaque plastic with fishnets in forty-degree weather. What won't she wear?
  2. MTV Video Music Awards performance In addition to the minor details -- being soaked in blood and hanging from a rope by the end of the performance -- did anyone else catch the random wheelchair appearance?
  3. Hermaphrodite controversy I have to ask where she's keeping everything in those practically non-existent plastic and bubble dresses, not to mention the other very tight and very short get ups she dons daily.
  4. Barbara Walters interview Here's a shocker -- Gaga wore a tweed Chanel suit to her interview with Barbara Walters on Nov. 30. She didn't even have a ridiculous hat on!
  5. Rolling Stone Magazine cover I was a little shocked with her June Rolling Stone cover -- maybe it's the weird emotion she evoking in her eyes, or maybe it's just the fact she's pretty much naked. I can't pinpoint it, but nightmares ensued.

--AB

Worst campus fashion trends

1. UGG boots and shorts Just don't do it.
  2. Baggy anything It's unattractive, unflattering and just plain sloppy.
  3. Light wash jeans and Carhartt jackets Although it's very warm, wear this only to the farm, not to classes.
  4. Rain boots and shorts The sister mistake to UGGs and shorts. Again, although it might be warm and the weather might be somewhat rainy, don't do it. Jeans are a better substitute to shorts.
  5. Polo and Nike Shox combo Are you going running or on a casual coffee date? Obviously, you don't know.

--JW

Top celebrity deaths we heard too much about

1. Michael Jackson
  2. Farrah Fawcett
  3. Billy Mays
  4. Patrick Swayze
  5. David Carradine

--LS

Top celebrity deaths we didn't hear enough about

1. Paul Harvey, legendary broadcaster
  2. Bea Arthur, "Golden Girls" actress
  3. Socks the cat, the Clinton's White House pet
  4. Dave Arneson, Dungeons & Dragons game developer
  5. Mickey Carroll, one of the last living munchkins

--LS

Hottest Women

1. Megan Fox
  2. Blake Lively
  3. Scarlett Johansson
  4. Zooey Deschanel
  5. Beyoncé

--KC

Hottest Men

1. Taylor Lautner
  2. Johnny Depp
  3. Zac Efron
  4. Bradley Cooper
  5. Chris Pine

--KC