Maude V. showcases range of local artists' wares

Columbia artists sell their goods at Maude Vintage.

Local store Maude Vintage's owner Sabrina Braden offers a sweet deal for area designers and artists looking to sell their work.

"I pay out 70 percent of the proceeds to them, and I don't charge a stocking fee or any rental space or credit card chart," Braden said. "I know that it's the highest percentage paid to local designers."

Because of those rates, Braden doesn't really make much off selling local designs.

"The 30 percent I get maybe pays the utilities," Braden said. "And that’s like $450 to $500 a month."

But with the 60 percent she makes off regular consignment, she's able to sustain her love of art.

"I do it because I love supporting artists," Braden said. "I would not have this shop without having locally designed things and local music."

Braden's efforts certainly pay off. She said she gets a new artist about every week, and with that kind of repertoire, Maude Vintage has quite the selection of notable artists.   Abbey Jarvis   At 16 years old, Jarvis is the Miley Cyrus of Maude Vintage. Her 4-year-old line of messenger bags, Crash Landing Couture, has been selling at Maude Vintage for about a year. The line is crafty and certainly has its youthful roots.

"The whole process has really evolved," Jarvis said. "I started out making those juice pouch bags -- the Capri Sun-type stuff -- and it's just kind of gone from there."

Jarvis has graduated from Capri Suns and matriculated into a world of thrift and caffeine. With a few practical tips from Braden, Jarvis has honed her line into a sophisticated collection of bags made from vintage scarves, recycled clothes, burlap, tea packets and coffee bean bags.

Oh, proactive youngsters. The world rests in your hands.   Julie Hayes   After eight years in art school, Julie Hayes was fed up with conceptual art. She graduated, abandoned the concepts, picked up crafting — a long time love of hers — and called it Restless Hearts.

"I wanted to make things that were functional, that people could have in their homes, so that they could use it in their everyday life, that they would cherish and love and become attached to, not just something that was going to stay up on the wall," Hayes said.

Hayes' style fits right in with Maude Vintage's theme of creating a new take on old objects.

"I use a lot of vintage and recycled materials," Hayes said. "One of my big concepts in art school was taking things that people thought were ordinary, everyday objects and elevating them to the level of art. I just like to take things that people cast away and make them into something beautiful again."

Maude Vintage carries her line of applique and embroidered necklaces. These funky pieces toe the line between classy and crafty, with large cloth patches strung on classic, thin chains.

"I'm not really a girlie girl," Hayes said. "It took me a long time to kind of get into making necklaces, because I'm not really somebody that wears a lot of jewelry or accessorizes a lot, so it's really hard for me. Even making them was kind of a big step because I didn't think that I had enough style to make them, because that's just not me. I'm pretty plain."

If that's the case, then watch out fashionistas, plain Janes with sewing kits are the next big thing.   VinnyCons   Before reading any further, look at the picture. Animal tracks? Kisses? Vulva. If you don't know what that is, look it up. VinnyCons began painting with her vulva about seven weeks ago. She calls the collection Vulva Pop, and is almost ironically shy about revealing her real name or picture to the masses.

The inspiration came from VinnyCons' childhood in the 1980s when she saw a celebrity on Entertainment Tonight who'd made prints with her body.

"I always wanted to do it since then," VinnyCons said.

In eye-catching neon colors, Vulva Pop is quite the statement.

"To me, Vulva Pop is a celebration of womanhood without the sexual sedition, necessarily," VinnyCons said. "I mean, it could be sexualized, of course -- it's parts of my vulva -- but ultimately it's a celebration. I would like for the viewer to be delighted by it and laugh, have fun talking about it."

Uninteresting dorm room walls? Here's the solution. Rock on, VinnyCons.