Getting down and dirty with DJs

MOVE catches up with Dirty Disco's three resident DJs.

Austin Goldberg (Marvin Gardens)

Age: 25

Where are you from? Lake Lotawana, Mo.

Why did you become a DJ? To spread the music.

What inspired your nickname? I wanted something personable.

Your DJ style in one word? Magical.

Favorite part of DJing? I like creating an atmosphere.

Is this your full-time job? DJing is something I do for fun or a little pocket change. I work full time at Mammothmedia.tv.

Favorite genre? Disco.

Band? Minus the Bear.

Song? Favorite club jam: "Got to Have Her" by Sweater Beats.

How did you get into DJing? I started playing my friend's parties and blazed a trail to the clubs.

How long have you been DJing? I started DJing in late 2007.

Favorite Dirty Disco theme? I like the back-to-school parties or anything in the summer when it's hot and sweaty.

Marvin Gardens' Playlist:

"Simple Girl (Tiger & Woods Remix)" - Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.

My friend Dylan sent this song my way a few weeks ago. It's a great early evening jam. Mmm, that sexy bassline.

"Cool Runnings" - Perseus

This too is something I'd play early in the night. It's a good warmup tune. Very tropical vibes.

"Burnin'" - Gigamesh

This one explains itself. Great dance floor edit of the 1979 classic. Gettin' loose, y'all!

"Bread and Butter" - 2 Guys in Venice

A beefed-up version of the original that smacks you right in the head. I'd drop this in the middle of a set, just so I could shake my own booty.

"Wow" - Chameo

I found this banger surfing the web late one night. This is definitely a climax track, heavy enough to make all the ladies wet.

Adam Boisclair (BWAHA)

Age? 28

Where are you from? Cincinnati, Ohio

Why did you become a DJ? To expose the music that I liked to dance to in private to the public.

What inspired your nickname? Someone attempted to pronounce my name, and I corrected them, and they responded something close to, "Aww, it's very French like 'Bwahaha, I'll cook pour vous?! Oui non?'" Not only because it was a nickname, but because it's also a maniacal laugh. 

Your DJ style in one word? Dirty.

Favorite part of DJing? Seeing people do crazy things on the dance floor.

Is this your full time job? I recently took over managing Eastside Tavern, which now occupies most of my time.

Favorite genre? Hip-hop.

Band? Tie between The Stooges and Beastie Boys.

Song? With one of the best guitar riffs ever: "20th Century Boy" - T. Rex

How did you get into DJing? I have loved music all my life and wanted to dance with friends, which led me to DJing; it's just so damn fun.

How long have you been DJing? Five years.

Favorite Dirty Disco theme? It has to be "most offensive dance-in-your-underpants party ever!" I made underwear with "BWAHA" printed on the butt and rocked all the songs with just the most ridiculously filthy lyrics you've ever heard. 

BWAHA’s playlist:

"Reaching Out (Fred Falke Remix)" - Nero feat. Hall & Oates

Who doesn't like Hall & Oates?

"Blitzkrieg Bop (Tittsworth Remix)" - Ramones

This song always gets people excited, and I love rock remixes.

"Le7els/Good Feeling (Avicii/Flo Rida)" - DJ Zimmie

DJ Zimmie is one of those guys that releases tracks and you say, "Why didn't I think of that?" Here he just adds an Etta James intro that will be a great break for the crowd after a few high energy songs. A break, yes, but a very short one because it goes right into one of the most popular songs of 2011.

"The New Style" - Beastie Boys

I've had the breakdown at the end queued up before just in case something goes fail whale but recently have been mixing it into different tracks. It has a great bassline that kicks in after, "feel the beat mmm drop!"

"Blowfly's Rapp" - Blowfly

Blowfly was the first dirty rapper and alter ego of Clarence Reid. I love filthy lyrics because it just reminds me that you can't take music that seriously... just have fun with it.

Leroy Lee (L3R0Y)

Age? 27

Where are you from? I was born in Akron, Ohio and have lived in Columbia for about 13 years.

Why did you become a DJ? I love dancing, and obviously I’m really passionate about music. So I feel like it was only natural for me to be interested in DJing. I have a large music collection, and it’s an honor to be able to enjoy it with other people in such a unique way.

What inspired your nickname? I used to go by DJ “Peeroy.” But, I decided to abandon that this past year. I decided to go by my real name, with a “leetspeak” twist.

Your DJ style in one word? Intense.

Favorite part of DJing? I truly embrace the art of mixing and blending songs and moving between different genres. I like to keep people on their toes and bring the energy level up as high as possible.

Is this your full time job? I’m a full time Ph.D. student studying nuclear engineering.

Favorite genre? Band? Song? Although it’s hard to pinpoint one genre or artist, my favorite genres to DJ include indie-dance, disco-house and French electro.

How did you get into DJing? Some of my close friends were DJs at a former nightclub in town and helped lead me in the right direction.

How long have you been DJing? For about five years.

Favorite Dirty Disco theme? The nerd party theme is definitely my favorite. It’s also not very hard for me to play the part.

L3R0Y's Playlist

"Los Angeles" — Louis La Roche

"Rap Music" – Bit Funk 

"Fantasy (AB’s Return to Disco New York Mix)" - Breakbot

Louis La Roche, Bit Funk and Breakbot are among my three favorite producers in the nu-disco/disco-house scene right now. Although these are fairly popular songs within the genre, it’s rare to hear this style of music in clubs in the Midwest, especially in Columbia.

"Midnight City (Alcala Remix)" - M83

At heart, I’m an indie music guy and love to play anything with an indie aesthetic. A lot of people love M83 and the song “Midnight City,” and this remix is just as intense as the original, but it’s sped up and hits a bit harder, which is perfect for a peak-of-the-night moment at Dirty Disco.

"Secret Weapon (Alex Metric Remix)" - The Whip

This is the perfect song to put a frenzied dance floor over the top.