House catches fire near Greektown

The estimated damage is valued at $2,500.

EVENTS

For some reason, there aren't any events to display here.

FOLLOW US

More Stories

A house on Maryland Avenue near Greektown caught fire Monday afternoon.

The bathroom at a private residence at 809 Maryland Ave. caught fire when a candle was left unattended, Columbia Fire Department Capt. Eric Hartman said.

The house is not associated with the Greek community.

Fire crews arrived on the scene around 12:40 p.m. for a house fire call. Hartman said the fire from the candle spread to a shelf in the first floor bathroom. The fire came into contact with aerosol cans left in the bathroom, and the cans exploded

The aerosol cans caused damage to a window and a door in the bathroom.

There was also smoke damage to the hallway and living room.

No one was injured in the fire and the damage is estimated to be about $2,500, Hartman said.

Hartman said there were smoke alarms in the house, but only one was working at the time of the fire.

More Stories