Columbia offers cultural events in the fall semester

This calendar provides different occasions to engage with Columbia’s culture.

Columbia offers artistic events throughout the year to keep its citizens involved in the scene. Here’s a view of some of the events taking place during the fall semester.

September

Roots N Blues N BBQ Festival

This annual festival celebrates “two of Missouri’s richest traditions” — food and music. The event features a lineup of national, regional and local roots, blues and folk artists. There will also be local food and beverage vendors touting barbecue from across the state.

When: Friday, Sept. 27 through Sunday, Sept. 29

Where: Stephens Lake Park

Price: $70-90/single day admission, $173 weekend admission

Guerl-rilla Theatre Presents: Othello

This latest installation in the Guerl-rilla Theatre series explores Shakespeare’s classic tale of jealousy and manipulation with all female-identifying performers. The series “brings drama to life through dynamic staged readings.”

When: 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 28

Where: Talking Horse Theatre, 210 St. James St.

Price: Free admission on a first-come, first-served basis.

MoJazz Music Festival

The one-day event celebrates jazz music by providing attendees the opportunity to “see and hear excellent live performances of this original American art form in a safe, comfortable setting.” Sponsored by the Jazz Forward Initiative, the lineup features local, regional and national jazz musicians. The festival encourages people to expand their understanding and appreciation of jazz.

When: 2 to 10 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 7

Where: Rose Music Hall

Pricing: Free

October

Crush Festival

The annual event finds a way to make wine-making fun for the whole family. The highlight of this event, grape stomping, is open to all ages. There will also be a bounce house, food and live music from the award-winning bluegrass band Trout Steak Revival.

When: Saturday, Oct. 5 through Sunday, Oct. 6

Where: Les Bourgeois Vineyards

Pricing: Free admission, extra cost for food and wine

November

Holiday Shop Hop and Magic Tree Lighting

Kick off the holidays in Columbia with this all-day shopping event. Retailers in The District, a 50-square block area around 10th Street, will have special offers and complimentary refreshments for visitors. To finish the evening, The Magic Tree Lighting will take place at 7 p.m. on 9th & Broadway, signifying the start of the holiday season.

When: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Nov. 2

Where: Downtown Columbia

Pricing: Varies

December

Living Windows

Continue the holiday fun with this Columbia tradition. Stroll through Downtown Columbia and take in the holiday-themed performances in local shop windows. Merchants compete with each other to have the best display. Enjoy visits with Santa and holiday treats while you survey the competition.

When: 6 to 8 p.m. on Dec. 6

Where: The District

Pricing: Free

Edited by Zoia Morrow | zmorrow@themaneater.com