Sisters Erin and Emily Krewson work together while playing an arcade game at Lazer Lanes. "I just got my license yesterday and was eager to drive somewhere, so we came here. Plus its double ticket tuesday," said Krewson.

Courtney Villmer/Photographer

Five places to have an alcohol-free night in CoMo

Nightlife in Columbia doesn’t have to feature booze.

By Kaelyn Sturgell | Aug. 25, 2017

Tags: Alcohol Downtown Columbia

Drinking isn’t for everyone. Whether you abstain because you’re under 21, because it’s expensive or because bars and frats creep you out, you’re not alone and there are plenty of other things to do on a night out in Columbia.

Eastside Tavern

Even though it has “tavern” in the name, Eastside Tavern welcomes anyone 18 and older. Open Monday through Saturday from 8 p.m.-1:30 a.m., Eastside offers trivia, comedy and karaoke. The small dive bar is located on Broadway beside El Rancho, so it’s a short walk from campus. Just try and get there early so you can get all your karaoke requests in before they fill up.

Notable features: No cover, within walking distance from campus, great for big groups

Mizzou After Dark

Mizzou After Dark is an MU organization that hosts events throughout the school year. Events range from midnight yoga to chocolate extravaganzas, bingo, trivia nights and even obstacle courses. MAD’s first event of the year is on Friday, Aug. 25 in the Student Center.

Notable features: Free, on campus, lots of food and activities

Lazer Lanes

This bowling alley feels more like a nightclub. With black lights, good music and delicious food, your night will be a strike even if you don’t hit a single pin. It’s a drive from campus, but find a friend with a car and take a group. Lazer Lanes gives discounts to groups eight or larger and it’s open every day of the week.

Notable features: $4.50 a game and $2 shoe rental, black lights, short three-mile drive from campus

Ragtag Cinema

Located inside Uprise Bakery and beside Hitt Records, Ragtag is a quaint theater that plays movies you may have never seen trailers for. However, don’t let that discourage you. Many of the movies Ragtag screens are highly acclaimed. Plus, if movies are your thing and you plan on frequently watching, it has a student membership that gives big discounts.

Notable features: $9.50 tickets, walking distance from campus, couches instead of uncomfortable theater chairs

The Blue Note

Who doesn’t love music? Regardless of your taste, The Blue Note has an artist or event for you. This year, be sure to check out the 80s vs 90s Mizzou Back to School Bash, Gavin DeGraw, Kip Moore, Sylvan Esso, COIN and so many more. Also, be sure to follow the venue on Facebook and Twitter because it has been known to give away tickets frequently.

Notable features: Tickets cost as low as $5, walking distance from campus, wide variety of musicians

Edited by Sam Nelson | snelson@themaneater.com