MOVE’s guide to music festivals for summer 2017

Missed out on Coachella? Avoid FOMO this summer by attending one of these major music festivals.

By Caroline Watkins | April 24, 2017

Tags: Concerts Music

We all know the feeling: It’s 11 p.m. on a Friday night, and you’re scrolling through social media, taking a break from studying for your tests. Whether you are watching celebrities’ Snapchat stories at Coachella or thousands of people dance to electronic music in bohemian garb on your Insta feed, FOMO is real. However, for those unable to attend the much-hyped music festival due to school, money or a laundry list of other logical excuses, no need to fear. The summer is just about to start, and there are a handful of festivals to satisfy anyone’s concert cravings.

Sasquatch! Music Festival

Where: Gorge Amphitheatre, George, Washington

When: May 26-28

What: Don’t let the name scare you ― this is the beast of festivals. This Memorial Day weekend festival is a more laid-back, low-key event, but still has great acts coming into town. Musicians performing in the festival include Frank Ocean, Thee Oh Sees, Catfish and the Bottlemen, MGMT and Twenty One Pilots.

Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival

Where: Great Stage Park, Manchester, Tennessee

When: June 8-11

What: Bonnaroo is another crowd favorite, known for being the Coachella of the South. Headliners for this four-day festival include U2, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Flume, Travis Scott and Tove Lo. With performances that run from around noon to 3 a.m. or later, don’t bet on getting too much sleep at this fest.

Firefly Music Festival

Where: The Woodlands of Dover International Speedway, Dover, Delaware

When: June 15-18

What: Don’t worry, East Coasters, we didn’t forget about you! Firefly is a fairly new music festival that started in 2012; what it’s lacking in experience, it makes up for in musical acts. The lineup for summer 2017 includes Weezer, The Shins, Kesha, Glass Animals, T-Pain, Phantogram and Capital Cities.

Lollapalooza

Where: Grant Park, Chicago, Illinois

When: Aug. 3-6

What: Lolla is a well-known music festival in the Windy City. It hosts a variety of genres, from alternative rock to punk rock to heavy metal to hip hop. The lineup for this August includes Chance the Rapper, The Killers, Lorde, Blink-182, alt-J, The xx, Foster the People and more. With eight stages and more than 170 bands, this event is perfect for those who want to celebrate an end to the summer before going back to school.

Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival

Where: Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, California

When: Aug. 11-13

What: This music festival is for those who like to party hard, right up until school starts. Outside Lands is hosted in Northern California — NoCal ― where the vibes are great and the music is greater. This festival is tailored toward lovers of indie rock, alternative rock, hip hop and electronica, and will host acts such as Metallica, The Who, A Tribe Called Quest, Fleet Foxes and Young the Giant for its 10th anniversary.

So, what are you waiting for? Grab your go-to concert junkies and road trip to one of these music fests this summer.

Edited by Katherine White | kwhite@themaneater.com