Baking a brownie in a cup is a one minute microwavable treat. Find the recipe below.

Nat Kaemmerer/Photographer

Mug shots: Five quick recipes to make in the microwave

Try these mug recipes for all your snack cravings.

By Nat Kaemmerer | April 11, 2017

Tags: Food Recipes

Let’s be honest — doing dishes sucks. Especially when you’re the only one eating the food you make, or you’re dealing with dorm cooking. Mug recipes are perfect for when you’re high on hunger and low on patience. For when it’s just you in there, and when you want as little clean-up as possible, here are some mug recipes to make your cooking life more simple.

Sweet

Chocolate chip cookie

Ingredients: 1 tablespoon unsalted butter 1 tablespoon granulated sugar 1 tablespoon brown sugar 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract Pinch of salt 1 egg yolk 3 tablespoons flour Chocolate chips (however many or few you want) Optional: Ghirardelli caramel-filled chocolate square, or another brand/flavor of chocolate square

Directions: Microwave the butter in a mug until it’s melted (30 seconds to one minute). Then, add both sugars, vanilla extract and salt. Stir to combine. Mix in the egg yolk until there are no traces of it. Mix the flour in, and fold in the chocolate chips to finish. This is optional, but you can stick a caramel-filled chocolate square into the middle so there’s a crazy amount of chocolate melted in the mug. It makes it super sweet, but I’d highly recommend it.

Microwave for 40-50 seconds. Let it cool a bit, and enjoy!

French toast

Ingredients: 1/4 cup milk 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1 large egg Pinch of salt 1/2 tablespoon butter 1 slice white bread 1 tablespoon chocolate chips

Directions: Whisk the milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, egg and salt together in a mug. Use a fork if you don’t have a whisk. Butter one side of the bread, then cut it into smaller pieces and add it to the mug. Press the bread into the mug so all the pieces are submerged. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the whole thing.

Microwave for two minutes total, but in 30-second intervals. Let the French toast cool for at least a minute before enjoying this quick treat.

Brownie

2 tablespoons melted butter OR 2 tablespoons oil 2 tablespoons water OR 2 tablespoons milk 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract Dash of salt (about 1/8 teaspoon) 2 tablespoons white sugar 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder 4 tablespoons flour

Directions: Whisk together the butter/oil, water/milk, salt and vanilla extract in a mug. Again, use a fork if you don’t have a whisk or don’t want to put the effort into cleaning it later. Then add the cocoa powder, sugar and flour, whisking well after you add each one.

Microwave for one minute. The middle will be slightly molten. Let it cool and enjoy — maybe with ice cream.

Savory

Chilaquiles

Ingredients: 1 egg 1 tablespoon milk Salt and pepper to taste 1 tablespoon sharp cheddar cheese 5 tortilla chips (or however many you want, really) 1 tablespoon salsa Sour cream Queso fresco

Directions: Beat milk and egg together in a mug, and add salt and pepper to taste. Add the cheese and stir to coat it in the mixture. Break three or four tortilla chips (adjust to your liking) into small pieces and stir them into the mug. Add the salsa.

Microwave about one minute and 10 seconds. Garnish with more tortilla chips, sour cream and queso fresco.

Quiche

Ingredients: 1 egg 1 1/2 tablespoons milk Salt and pepper to taste 1/4 of a bagel 2 teaspoons cream cheese 1/2 slice prosciutto OR ham Thyme or chives

Directions: Beat the egg and milk together in a mug using a fork. Add the salt and pepper to your taste. Tear the bagel into small pieces, about dime-sized, and stir them into the mug along with the cream cheese. Tear prosciutto or ham into small pieces and add them to the mug. Sprinkle with thyme or chives.

Microwave for about 1 minute and 10 seconds. Garnish with mustard and more thyme or chives to your liking, and enjoy!