Ben Folds performs at the 2016 Roots N' Blues. Folds is coming to the Blue Note on Feb. 21 as a part of his tour, Ben Folds and a Piano.

Maneater File Photo

Know Before You Go: Ben Folds and a Piano perform at The Blue Note

The classical crossover artist is performing Feb. 21.

By Cassie Allen | Feb. 14, 2017

Tags: Concerts Music The Blue Note

The “Capable of Anything” Ben Folds is “Rockin’ The Suburbs” at The Blue Note on Feb. 21.

The lowdown

Folds will be performing at The Blue Note on his tour, Ben Folds and a Piano. The doors open at 7:30 p.m., and the show begins at 8:30 p.m.

Tickets for the show range from the general admission price of $35 to VIP packages up to $250. These package levels include things like a meet and greet, signed memorabilia, Ben Folds-themed drinks and a pre-concert show.

If you’re new to The Blue Note, you can typically arrive right before show time, but for this show I would recommend getting to the venue a little earlier so you can find a good spot to stand.

The artists

Former frontman of ’90s band Ben Folds Five, Folds has spent the last 15 years solo, producing music and later hosting NBC’s “The Sing-Off.” His music has been in numerous movies, including Marley and Me and Over The Hedge, and he’s performed on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” and “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.”

His charismatic personality shines through his own music and the music he produces. In a 2015 interview with Billboard, he said, “I’ve given up on trying to figure anything out,” and the method of going with the flow definitely works for him. His music reflects this in his sarcastic lyrics and serious undertones.

Performing as a solo pianist act is something Folds has experience in, and his practice will definitely make for a good show.

Noteworthy tunes by Ben Folds

“The Luckiest”

This song is sweet and truly gives insight into what the concert will be like Tuesday. Although the song is fairly old, it showcases Folds’ exquisite piano skills without being considered strictly classical music.

“Phone in a Pool”

“Phone in a Pool” is an interesting mix of fast and slow pace, changing throughout the song. The message itself is also funny, and many stories of the inspiration behind the song are floating around, most of which involve Kesha, according to Billboard.

“Not a Fan”

This slow melody is a beautiful song from the live compilation album Folds released of his concerts between 2015 and 2016. The classical elements pair wonderfully with Folds’ voice and pull in his personality through the funny lyrical additions.

If you like these, try:

“Thank God for Girls” by Weezer

This song starts off like most of Folds’ music, but is less classical and more alternative. It’s also fun and reminds me of “B------ Ain’t S---” by Folds.

“Piano Man” by Billy Joel

This song could practically have been written and performed by Ben Folds. The lyrics add humor and sadness at the same time, and they are soft and cushioned by the piano. Which came first, the Billy or the Ben?

MOVE has a Ben Folds playlist here: