Courtesy of Wikipedia Commons

Five things to do in CoMo for Independence Day

There’s so much to do and so little time.

By Regina Anderson | July 1, 2016

The Fourth of July is the biggest holiday of the summer, and you don’t want to miss out on all the barbecues, fireworks and fun. Here are five things to do in CoMo to celebrate our country’s 240th birthday.

5) Party with your friends

Pinterest is sure to be covered in great ideas for you to recreate. Get together in the morning to set up for a fabulous evening watching patriotic movies like “Forrest Gump” or “National Treasure.” Pick one idea or do them all. Whether you bake an American flag cake or create a cute home decoration, your party is sure to be a great one (and your friends will love making everything with you).

4) Community Painting Day

With the new underpass on Locust Street, the parks department and other entities of CoMo decided it would be a good idea to spruce it up a bit with a mural painted by its community members. The Facebook page for the event says that people can help paint the large color portions with help from teenage artists. The event is from 4–8 p.m. It’s a great way to give back to the community and meet your neighbors.

3) 22nd Annual Parley P. Pratt Freedom Run

To justify all that barbecue and watermelon, this 5K and mile-long family fun run will do the trick. It’s been a Fourth of July tradition for 22 years. The run starts at Twin Peaks Recreation Area and takes place on the MKT. Day-of sign up starts at 6:45 a.m., and the run is at 8 a.m. A pancake breakfast also starts at 8 a.m. and goes until 9:30 a.m. If you’re an exercise buff, this might be the thing for you.

2) Picnic in Stephens Lake Park

The Fourth of July is always the perfect time to take advantage of the summer days in July. Pack a nice lunch spread with all fresh fruits and your favorite holiday foods and enjoy Independence Day with all of your friends. Stephens Lake Park has multiple picnic shelters for you to use and even provides free wifi. There are even some trails that you could explore after enjoying your meal.

1) Fourth of July Fire in the Sky

This is Columbia’s 64th annual fireworks display and it’s sure to be great. There’s music and entertainment starting at 6:30 p.m. for people who set up their spots earlier in the evening. The event is hosted at Flat Branch Park and The District. Bring your friends and make it an event. You’re sure to have a great time. Besides, what’s the Fourth of July without fireworks?

Edited by Katie Rosso | krosso@themaneater.com