Top artists to release anticipated albums in 2016

Artists such as The 1975, Frank Ocean and M83 all plan to release new music this year

By Grant Sharples | Feb. 3, 2016

2016 is looking to be a huge year for new music. Artists such as Frank Ocean, M83, Radiohead and more all plan on releasing new albums this year, so there are plenty of reasons to be excited. With that being said, check out our list of the most anticipated albums of 2016.

BECK

Release date: TBA // Album title: TBA

After the release of his Grammy-winning 12th studio album “Morning Phase,” Beck surprised his fans with the upbeat, catchy single “Dreams” a year later. However, “Dreams” was all we got from the alternative rocker in 2015. Fortunately, 2016 looks like a more prolific year for the artist. Producer Greg Kurstin has made comments that he and Beck have been working on new material and are aiming for a release early this year.

FRANK OCEAN

Release date: TBA // Album title: “Boys Don’t Cry”

Back in June, R&B solo artist Frank Ocean unveiled the title of his upcoming LP, “Boys Don’t Cry” on his Tumblr page. Ever since, fans have been begging for more information, including Adele. It’s been four years since the release of his breakthrough album, “channel ORANGE,” and while many were hoping for the album to release by the end of 2015, fans are still eager to hear what’s next.

KANYE WEST

Release date: Feb. 11 // Album title: “Waves”

On the night of Jan. 8, rapper Kanye West revealed the details of his upcoming album, “Swish,” on Twitter. Later that month, however, he changed the album’s title to “Waves.” Simply put, West is unpredictable not only for his antics and behavior on social media, but also for his music. West’s seventh studio album will be released later this month.

MIIKE SNOW

Release date: March 4 // Album title: “iii”

It’s been four years since the release of the Swedish trio’s sophomore effort, “Happy to You,” and while it’s evident that “iii” will stay true to the band’s electronic-indie roots, singles “Genghis Khan” and “Heart Is Full” hint at something more dance and hip-hop inspired. Perhaps band member Christian “Bloodshy” Karlsson’s time in Galantis, his EDM side project, has influenced the direction and evolution of Miike Snow’s sound. We’ll find out by March.

M83

Release date: TBA // Album title: TBA

Admit it. It’s going to be insanely difficult to surpass 2011’s critically acclaimed double-album “Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming,” but nonetheless, Anthony Gonzalez, the musical mastermind behind M83, has proven time and again that he never disappoints his fans. Many people acquaint the alternative-electro act with feelings of triumph and innocence (songs “Intro” and “Wait” serve as great examples), and fittingly, M83 will be making their triumphant return sometime this year. Details may be scarce, but 2016 is going to be a wonderful year for M83 fans.

NINE INCH NAILS

Release date: TBA // Album title: TBA

Trent Reznor, the brain behind Nine Inch Nails, confirmed on his Twitter account that new music from the industrial rockers will be coming in 2016. This currently untitled LP will be following up 2013’s “Hesitation Marks,” which was extremely electronic and dance-oriented. Fans seem to be hoping for a more guitar-oriented, angsty Nine Inch Nails record, similar to “The Downward Spiral” and “The Fragile.” All we know as of now is that there will be new music from the band sometime this year.

RADIOHEAD

Release date: TBA // Album title: TBA

Alternative rockers Radiohead are notably secretive when it comes to details of their ninth studio album. Guitarist Jonny Greenwood has confirmed on Twitter that “no plans (are) confirmed yet,” but still, “lots has been recorded.” The band is also heavily rumored to headline festivals such as Lollapalooza and Glastonbury. 2016 is looking to be a busy year for Radiohead, and fans will most likely have a new album sometime this year.

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS

Release date: TBA // Album title: TBA

Alt-funk quartet Red Hot Chili Peppers are currently working on their 11th studio album. Vocalist Anthony Kiedis has also confirmed that the band has been working with producer Danger Mouse, famous for his work with The Black Keys, Broken Bells and Portugal. The Man. The band has also been announced to perform at a multitude of European festivals, such as Pinkpop and Rock Am Ring.

THE STROKES

Release date: TBA // Album title: TBA

On Sept. 27, vocalist Julian Casablancas revealed that The Strokes were recording new music at a show in Washington D.C.. Fans immediately took to Twitter to help proliferate the exciting news. Even guitarist Nick Valensi’s wife, Amanda de Cadenet, stated on Twitter that Casablancas “let the cat outta the bag.” Not much is known about the next album from The Strokes, but fans do have new music to look forward to.

THE 1975

Release date: Feb. 26 // Album title: “I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it”

Alt-pop quartet The 1975 are back, releasing an album later this month. Not only is the mouthful of a title a bold statement, but so is the direction of their sound and aesthetic. Single “Love Me” channels ‘80s funk and pop music, and is accompanied by a music video filled with bright pink neon lights, flamboyant dancing and vocalist Matt Healy sporting crazy makeup. However, singles “UGH!” and “The Sound” pay homage to fans of their eponymous debut album by sticking to the more familiar indie-pop sound.

Edited by Katherine Rosso — krosso@themaneater.com