Courtesy of Literary Hub

Twelve things to binge watch, read and listen to over break

Whether you love reading or watching TV, there’s something for you.

During the course of the semester, it’s easy for us to forget all of the things we’d planned on doing after we finished studying. This guide has MOVE’s recommendations for what to catch up on before we head back to finish the semester.

Books

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

If you’re looking for the kind of book that will stick with you for weeks, this is it. Niven writes about the love of two teenagers who meet standing on top of a building. Violet and Finch are emotional, ever-growing characters that are very easy to get attached to. The book is based on Niven’s personal experiences and will soon be made into a movie.

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

I originally read this for my English 1100 class, but was amazed by the way Coates brings race issues to light in this book formatted as a letter to his son. This book is an important read for all Americans; it highlights what it means to be black in this country.

The Wrath & the Dawn by Renée Ahdieh

Inspired by the timeless tale of a storyteller who evades death by entrancing her captor, The Wrath & the Dawn is a book with huge plot twists. Reading this book allowed me to step into the world that the caliphate 16-year-old Shahrzad is trying to protect. You’re in luck: there’s a second book, too.

Movies

Stuck in Love

Leaving Netflix at the end of November, this movie is one you definitely need to see if you haven’t before. It’s a heartfelt movie that deals most powerfully with divorce and love mixed together for this year-in-the-life movie. It has 4.5 stars on Netflix, so it’s pretty great.

Star Trek Beyond

Reviving the Star Trek scene, this movie brings new faces to a fast-paced world. The movie received an 84% on Rotten Tomatoes and would make a perfect addition to an action movie binge. It just recently came out on DVD and to a Redbox near you, so check it out.

The Imitation Game

If you’re not about the sci-fi life, check out [this] (https://www.netflix.com/tWitle/70295172) historical drama about World War II. (Plus, it has Sherlock’s Benedict Cumberbatch.) The movie is on Netflix so you can check it out there or rent it at a Redbox.

Shows

Designated Survivor

Similar to Madame Secretary, this ABC political drama depicts the life of a cabinet member and his family when a terrorist attack on the capital launches him into the presidency. I’ve been watching this when I can between doing homework and studying, but I can’t wait to catch up on all the new episodes.

Stranger Things

This show about a small town in the 80s suspensfully deals with some big problems, such as parenthood and friendship. Stranger Things is a mix of Stand by Me and E.T. If you haven’t already watched it, this show is a must see.

Gilmore Girls

By now, everyone and their mother has probably recommended you watch Gilmore Girls. I personally have just starting watching it and it is what I’ll be binge watching over break. Not to mention, the revival episodes are coming out at the end of November. Long-time fans can rewatch the show to get in the mood for the new episodes, or new fans can catch up so they’re not behind when Netflix finally releases the revival.

Songs

Flannel by The Cardboard Swords

This song, released in 2015, is a mixture between pop punk and spoken word. The band is from Grand Rapids, Michigan, and just finished up their 2016 European tour. It focuses on friendships and lost love, which is perfect for the cold break.

Sucker for Pain by Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa and Imagine Dragons

From the new movie Suicide Squad, this song is (almost) as popular as Heathens by 21 Pilots. This song is the perfect match for Flannel, using rap to complement the stylings of Imagine Dragons. The all-star featured artists on this song are an added bonus.

Can’t Sleep Without You by Brett Young

This song was released in February of this year on Brett Young’s first EP since he left California for Nashville. The country song managed to make country and pop Billboard Top 100’s and is played pretty frequently on the radio. The music video and the premise behind it are so cute, showing Young waiting for his girlfriend to get home after a night out with her friends.

Edited by Katherine White | kwhite@themaneater.com