Courtesy of iTunes

Album review: Neon Trees’ ‘Pop Psychology’

The band’s latest provides upbeat, catchy and motivational tracks for old and new fans alike.

By Briana Saunders | April 25, 2014

Neon Trees’ new album Pop Psychology definitely brings a more polished, mature and upbeat vibe to their original pop-rock style.

We all remember Neon Trees’ most popular hits, like “Everybody Talks” and “Animal,” which made you instantly want to start tapping your foot or bobbing your head along to the music. Pop Psychology offers many more upbeat and fun tracks that give you a sense of being on the beach in California or at a hip new club dancing with friends. For example, tracks like “Teenager in Love,” “Text Me In the Morning” and “Love in The 21st Century” have the perfect summery vibe that teenagers and young adults absolutely love to dance to.

According to a recent interview with Rolling Stone, Pop Psychology has also been an outlet for lead singer and born-and-raised Mormon, Tyler Glenn, to talk about his struggles with his sexuality. Because of the Mormon attitude toward homosexuality, Glenn was afraid to come out at first. He wrote songs like (perhaps “Living In Another World,” “First Things First” and “Voices In The Halls”) to help channel his feelings of repression.

In the song “First Things First,” the lyrics really represent how Glenn felt during his teenage years and how he has dealt with those feelings in the future. He sings, “It began when I learned how to face myself / And I’m still deciding if I’m something else / I’m a million different people all the time / But there’s only one of me to get it right.”

Overall, I think old and new fans will enjoy the motivational, catchy and fun tracks Neon Trees has to offer on Pop Psychology. Some tracks may sound a bit too similar to each other, but each still offers its own flavor to the album.

MOVE gives Pop Psychology 4.5 out of 5 stars.