Courtesy of iTunes

Album review: Bombay Bicycle Club’s ‘So Long, See You Tomorrow’

The British indie rock quartet impresses with its worldly fourth album.

By Katie Connor | Feb. 6, 2014

What sets Bombay Bicycle Club apart from other indie bands is how the group approaches recording a new album as a chance to reinvent itself.

From indie rock to alternative folk to dance rock, not one of the band’s releases sounds like a re-hashed attempt at recreating a previous album’s success. So Long, See You Tomorrow is no exception.

As the frontman and primary lyricist/composer for Bombay Bicycle Club, Jack Steadman wrote most of the tracks for the new album during his travels through India, Japan, the Netherlands and Turkey, according to NME Magazine. The exotic sounds he heard while globetrotting are incorporated into this album in an upbeat fashion that will entrance any listener.

The album opens dramatically with the stadium rock, Bollywood-infused track, “Overdone.” Its psychedelic tunes overwhelm with the inclusion of strings, cowbells and the hauntingly beautiful guest vocals of Rae Morris.

Bollywood influences can also be heard on “Feel,” and hints of electronica are incorporated throughout the track “Carry Me.”

Although this album sounds breathtakingly beautiful at times, it occasionally lacks depth in terms of its lyrical content. This is not the case, however, with “Luna,” in which Morris makes another guest appearance. Her vocals bring additional emotion to the already heart-rending track.

It’s no mistake that Bombay Bicycle Club is now receiving slots at major international music festivals, such as the Latitude Music Festival in Suffolk. The group’s ever-evolving sound is refreshing and unique, and So Long, See You Tomorrow proves to listeners why the band is one step ahead of its indie competition.

MOVE gives So Long, See You Tomorrow 4 out of 5 stars.