Courtesy of bastillebastille.com

Album review: Bastille’s ‘Bad Blood’

The band's debut album impresses with good music and good lyrics.

By Ellie Papadakis | Sept. 4, 2013

One Direction isn’t the only band making waves across the pond. Bastille released their debut album, Bad Blood, in the U.S. on Tuesday.

The London-based alternative rock group has already had some airplay with its fourth single, “Pompeii,” which is also the first track on the album. The upbeat song seems to be looking back at wasted days and how things change over time, while also referencing the famous eruption in the Roman city.

The album’s title track, “Bad Blood,” almost sounds like it should be in MTV’s werewolf show, “Teen Wolf,” with lyrics like, “These are the days that bind you together, forever / All these little things that define you forever, forever.”

McCall Pack, anyone?

The album seems to be especially perfect for alternative rock-loving history majors, since the references on the album don’t stop at Rome. The seventh track, “Icarus,” references the famous Greek mythology tale about the boy who flew too close to the sun.

Every song on the album has a good mix of synthesized and classic instruments. Many of the band’s tracks feature a prevalent drumbeat, but on every track the drums sound different. Not just the obvious rhythm, but also the actual sound.

The group harmonizes on almost all of its tracks, and they do it very well. Their voices, with lead-singer Dan Smith at the center, make every song unique and intense.

For a debut album, Bad Blood is really, really good. Hopefully Bastille has a lot more in store for the future.

MOVE gives Bad Blood 4 out of 5 stars.