Fests on fests on fests

Four festivals you won't want to miss this summer

By Zack Nolan | May 3, 2013

Tags: Art Festivals Music

If you're hoping to fest, CoMo is the place to be this summer. Check out these four festivals if you're sticking around for the next few months:

Ninth Street Summerfest

When: June 13

The Blue Note-sponsored annual Ninth Street Summerfest is gearing up for another run this summer. Although the blocking off of Ninth Street between Broadway and Walnut Street is a bit of a pain for drivers, it is a lot of fun for music enthusiasts of all genres. The festivities will be starting with a show by Dierks Bentley. Not a country fan? The show is free. Go anyway.

Art in the Park

When: June 1-2

The 55th annual Art in the Park is coming to Stephens Lake Park this summer. The festival, presented by the Columbia Art League, boasts over 120 artists and happens to be the oldest and largest fine arts fest in the state of Missouri. Get out in the sun and celebrate your inner art lover (or fake it in order to impress your summer fling).

True/False Boone Dawdle

When: August 17

True/False Film Fest's annual Boone Dawdle is rambling through the woods of Columbia once again. This perfect end-of-summer experience includes a beautiful 3-mile bike ride along a trail that is packed full of quirky-cool games and performances, ending in a dinner and documentary screening at Les Bourgeois Winery. Tickets go on sale June 1, but the event is free for those who volunteer. Nobody does hip like True/False does, so buy your tickets early or sign up quick!

CoMo Girls Rock

When: June 15

What’s cooler than a showcase of awesome local bands? A showcase of awesome local bands made up of rad teen and tween girls. CoMo Girls Rock Camp is having its inaugural showcase at Mojo's this June. The camp is focused on empowering young women through music, and the showcase will be the finale to its camp session of music making and girl power. Come out and celebrate awesome young people!