Album review: Best and worst of March

Spoiler alert: OneRepublic just isn't doing it for us anymore...

By Jessica Allison | April 11, 2013

The Best

Woman – Rhye

Release Date: March 5

Genre: Electronic

Record:  Polydor Ltd. (UK)

Warning: Unless you want to be seduced by the musical stylings of a happily married man, don’t listen to this album. Vocalist Mike Milosh of this electronic duo said in a Pitchfork interview that Rhye’s primary goal is to pay tribute to life-changing romantic experiences. The whole album is deeply intimate and sensual, without being overly sexual. It’s smooth and sexy, and each song is perfect in its own way.

Same Trailer Different Park – Kacey Musgraves

Release Date: March 19

Genre: Country

Record: Mercury Records

A young country singer who holds true to standards of old time, traditional country music definitely deserves a round of applause. Kacey Musgraves is the expert at this; she’s only 23 years old. Unlike Taylor Swift, she sings actual country music about heartbreak (in moderation) and has a big attitude. It’s impossible not to love this girl, even if country isn’t your thing.

Wolf – Tyler, The Creator

Release Date: April 1

Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap

Record: Odd Future LLC

Tyler, the Creator is certainly one of hip-hop’s most unique and witty rappers at the moment. The only downside is the amount of work it takes to understand his music. He raps about characters he created, like a guy named Samuel who hates everyone. However, if you take the time to really digest his music, you’ll be anything but bored.

The Worst

R.E.V.O. – Walk Off the Earth

Release Date: March 19

Genre: Pop

Record: Columbia Records

Listening to this Canadian quintet's album will remind you of Fun., Imagine Dragons and Mumford & Sons. The album even includes a cover of Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used to Know.” Unfortunately, such heavy influences and lack of originality make it impossible for Walk Off the Earth to leave any impression.

Delta Machine – Depeche Mode

Release Date: March 22

Genre: Alternative

Record: Venusnote Ltd.

Depeche Mode is certainly experimental music, but it’s not necessarily a successful experiment. It sounds like someone tried to mash together dubstep with the singing from a drunk karaoke night and call it music. It would deserve a better rating if the singing was good, but the vocalist doesn’t sound like he’s feeling the music, so the listeners don’t either.

Native – OneRepublic

Release Date: March 26

Genre: Pop

Record: Mosley Music/Interscope Records

Remember when OneRepublic made their debut with Dreaming Out Loud, and everyone was freaking out about “Apologize”? Unfortunately, since the group has made it big in 2007 they haven’t exactly moved up. Their latest release is a sad attempt to cater to those who limit their musical preferences to the bland, computer-instrumented songs that litter the Top 40.