Courtesy of iTunes

Album Review: Katy Perry’s ‘PRISM’

The pop singer’s latest release is prismatic in every sense of the word

By Claudia Guthrie | Oct. 28, 2013

It’s been more than two months since Katy Perry set fire to her “Teenage Dream”-era blue wig and buried her “California Gurls” lollipop costume, promising a new, dark sound. Her new album, PRISM, is exactly what was promised.

PRISM starts off similar to the bubbly, upbeat, whipped-cream-bra-wearing Perry we saw in Teenage Dream with songs like “International Smile” and “Birthday.” She also manages to preserve her ever-present sense of humor, singing, “So let me get you in your birthday suit / It’s time to bring out the big balloons.” (Subtle, Katy.)

But it isn’t long before the album shifts toward a more grown-up Perry. A more personal Perry. A darker Perry.

Lyrically, PRISM is a huge step into more mature ground. From lines like, “Sometimes I wish my skin was a costume / That I could just unzip,” to “Thought I wasn’t enough / Found I wasn’t so tough,” Perry explores the darker subjects of insecurities, love, loss and moving forward.

With songs such as “Ghost” and “By the Grace of God,” she raises a not-so-subtle middle finger to Russell Brand and lets down her cute, glittery guise, showing us the person behind the pop-diva persona.

PRISM proves that Perry’s not a daydreaming teenager anymore. She’s come a long way from singing about peacocks and kissing girls.

MOVE gives PRISM 4 out of 5 stars.