courtesy of Mariah DeYoung / Emme Studios

'Revival' will rock the Blue Note Saturday

There’s a revival coming, but no, it’s not the religious type.

By Lauren Rutherford | Jan. 25, 2013

Revival Release Party

When: Saturday, Doors at 8, show at 9:30

Where: The Blue Note

Admission - $1

CD - $2 at the shows and online for $5 at comorevival.com

In the beginning, David Kemper, Justin Mayfield and friends dreamed of a local music revival in January of 2013. Somehow, all the pieces came together in a few months in the form of a compilation CD titled Revival and set of shows. One could almost say the gods predestined it.

“It all started with the idea that, individually, (local bands) can reach a lot of people, but, together, the reach is infinite,” says Kemper, who runs the Columbia Missouri Music Scene collective.

Originally, the CD was set to feature four or five songs from four or five bands. As interest grew, the project expanded to include the 17 bands, including MoonRunner, Mary & The Giant and Curtain Co. The final product will be available at the album’s release party Saturday at The Blue Note, a celebration which will also kick off a concert series highlighting other Revival bands.

Besides bringing the best of Columbia's music scene together, Revival also symbolizes the life of a local CoMo musician.

“The artwork pulls in the circus aspect,” says Justin Mayfield of Kitchen Table Promotion, which partnered with Columbia Missouri Music Scene for the compilation project. “There’s always this strange sideshow aspect of being a musician. It’s like, ‘Hey, we are freaks.' We very literally are. Most of us have given up the idea of having a very normal life, and we’re standing up on a stage. You come pay a few dollars, and we entertain you.”

To title a CD Revival, though, it implies that salvation is needed.

“I’ve always seen that there are all these pieces here and, for whatever reason, it’s not connecting and doesn’t have a heartbeat,” says Kemper of the local music scene.

That said, it’s up to the citizens of Columbia to resuscitate the scene. The compilation’s production team is expecting lots of ears. Kemper says he hopes people will hear one track, want to listen to the entire CD and go catch the bands at a show. It’s all about gaining new fans and getting Columbia excited about its not-so-hidden gems.

“The Revival has gotten people’s attention,” says Mariah DeYoung of Kitchen Table. “It’s forcing them to work together as they wouldn’t otherwise. It’s the start of people coming together as a community to make their music known.”

And this is just the beginning. The Revival production team is already looking forward to the next big thing in local music.

“I think that we’ve come up with an interesting semi-annual cycle between the Patchwork Project and this (Revival),” says Kemper. “One involves established bands and the other involves musicians that deserve to be established but aren’t.”

According to Kemper, Patchwork Project round one couldn’t have gone better, and even bigger and better things are in the works for round two. This spring, the project will feature eight bands (three more than last year's) to compete for a cash prize, and Kemper says he hopes more people will be excited to work on the project now that it’s better known.

“We want to involve more of the University of Missouri,” says Kemper. “If it’s one segment of the population that we don’t have a lot of, it's students. Patchwork doesn’t just have to be rock musicians. If we could get a killer saxophone player or the best trombone player at Mizzou, that’d be awesome.”

We've reviewed all 17 tracks of Revival here for you:

1) "Water Ain't Right" - The HipNecks

Sounds Like: "Whiskey’s Gone" by Zac Brown Band

This upbeat, twangy rock piece starts the compilation off on a high note. Known for their hippie-meets-redneck groove, The HipNecks are an established band with two full-length albums and a new EP under their belt.

2) "Maybe It's Me" - Mary & the Giant

Sounds Like: "All the Pretty Girls" by Fun.

Easily our favorite song on the album, Mary & the Giant’s self-proclaimed “colonial pop” is catchy like a radio hit yet unique in its vocals and use of strings. The group is set to release an album in March.

3) "Before the War" - MoonRunner

Sounds Like: "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon

The use of keys at the beginning of this piece sets it apart, and lots of instrumental moments as well as distinct vocals make this a must-listen. The seven-piece ensemble that calls itself family creates MoonRunner’s indie folk rock sound.

4) "Ocean View" - Stingrays

Sounds Like: "You and I" by Wilco

Ocean View is one of the more subdued tracks but lacks nothing in soul. Listen to this one when you’re feeling in a contemplative mood. The Stingrays’ classic pop and indie rock tunes have been rocking Columbia since 2006.

5) "Too Much Woman" -  Don't Mind Dying

Sounds Like: "Sharp Dressed Man" by ZZ Top

Don’t Mind Dying brings their “high octane blues” with this track. The heavy guitar and drums are reminiscent of the rock music listened to by my parents (not a bad thing). They’re currently working on a “real” album.

6) "What I Need" - Jenny Teator and The Fevers

Sounds Like: "Stars" by Grace Potter & the Nocturnals

It was refreshing to hear a strong female vocalist on the album. Jenny's talent multiplied by The Fevers’ percussion and keys produces a rockin’, bluesy (and somewhat ballsy) track.

7) "Southern Junk Funk" - Pluto's Still A Planet

Sounds Like: "Jackolantern’s Weather" by 311

Southern Junk Funk lives up to its name by being one of the funkiest tracks. Tempo changes and inventive instrumentals set it apart, making it one of my favorites. Pluto’s Still A Planet is set to release their first album Feb. 1.

8) "Muddy Water Friend" - We Live in Public

Sounds Like: "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder

Stop right here and skip to #12, and then come back when you can handle more guitar. Besides that, it’s unexpected to hear a sort something Wonder-esque.

9)  "Milk and Honey" - The Flood Brothers

Sounds Like: "Gold On the Ceiling" by Black Keys

Listening to this song just makes you feel cool. The raspy guitar and vocals drive the southern blues and rock feel signature to The Flood Brothers. It’s a slow jam boogie.

10) "Dan Boone Stomp" - Decadent Nation

Sounds Like: "Killing In the Name" by Rage Against the Machine

The beat and catchy lyrics make this song a highlight. Decadent Nation’s wide range of influences is evident.

11)  "That Kind of Girl" - The Mojo Roots

Sounds Like: "All Your Love I Miss Loving" by Stevie Ray Vaughan

The Mojo Roots bring their soul-soaked blues distinct to the Midwest. This one is groovy.

13)  "Runnin'" - Violet and the Undercurrents

Sounds Like: "Rolling In The Deep" by Adele

I really love the opening beat to this song as well as Violet’s voice. The voices of all three ladies blend perfectly. A slower, less guitar heavy track is a breath of fresh air at this point in the album.

13) "30 Miles From Houston" - Driving Wheel

Sounds Like: "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Guitar is good, but I can’t handle another electric guitar track right now. The vocals and beat are the better part of this one.

14) "Softly Covered Hole" - Curtain Co.

Sounds Like: "Rõyksopp Forever" by Rõyksopp

The self-proclaimed thrift pop duo offers a slower, instrumental aspect that’s unlike any other track on the CD. I like how the emphasis is less on the voice.

15) "Broken Parts Will Heal" - The Follow

Sounds Like: "Soul Meets Body" by Death Cab for Cutie

The opening measures is what entices me. The vocals mesh well and compliment the rest of The Follow’s sound.

16)  "Overload" - Ghost in The Machine

Sounds Like: "Suitcase" by Circa Survive

This is probably the most rock-heavy track. Ghost in The Machine achieved what they aim to do: melt your face.

17)  "Falling Farther From You" - The Many Colored Death

Sounds Like: "Supermassive Black Hole" by Muse

"Falling Farther From You" is one you can rock to. It’s a head banger.