Column:

Feedback: A heartfelt farewell to 2012

Jackson Farley on the top 10 albums of the year

By Jackson Farley | Dec. 7, 2012

As we prepare to wave goodbye to the year we have come to love so dearly, it's important to look back and reflect on all of the wonderful albums that have been released in 2012. While it's sad to see this year go, there have been some awesome highlights in the music world that we can't skip over. So without any further ado, let's present the top ten albums of 2012.

10. Justin Bieber's Believe

Yeah, so Justin Bieber made the top 10 list (sue me). But honestly, Believe is pretty notable as far as pop music goes. Bieber’s new album is more mature, more diverse and less of a guilty pleasure than it maybe should be. (YOLO?!?!?!?)

9. Mumford & Sons' Babel

Following their hugely successful album, Sigh No More, many Mumford & Sons fans wondered if the band could make a release with the same caliber as their debut album. While Babel did by no means blow Sigh No More out of the water, it was an album that stayed true to Mumford & Sons' musical style and in the end, came out a winner.

8. The Lumineers' The Lumineers

The Lumineers’ smooth, carefree vibes are medicine for the soul. With unique vocals and witty lyrics, The Lumineers is a debut album not to be forgotten. It's bands like this that we can only hope will stomp on the term "one hit wonder."

7. Marina and The Diamonds' Electra Heart

Back with her sophomore release, Electra Heart, Marina and the Diamonds is sassier than ever. Electra Heart is a beautiful piece of pop music and scores high when it comes to catchiness.

6. Andrew Bird's Break It Yourself

Break It Yourself, Andrew Bird's sixth solo studio album, may be one of his best yet. Bird is in a class of his own when it comes to musicians; the immense array of instruments he uses is the huge factor that sets him apart in the music scene.

5. Taylor Swift's Red

Ah, Taylor Swift: a name people either abhor or love. All bias aside, though, Red is a huge step in the right direction from her previous albums; Swift has clearly matured since her last album, both personally and musically, and that change was definitely for the better.

4. fun.'s Some Nights

Some nights I stay up just listening to Some Nights over and over again (clever, I know). But really, fun. sure does know how to make a killer album. Some Nights is the perfect sophomore release and rocks all around.

3. Lana Del Rey's Born to Die

Born to Die is definitely an acquired taste. But, Lana Del Rey's eccentric personality and sometimes shocking lyrics all make up her persona and who she is as an artist. Her music is truly a masterpiece, despite her somewhat strange tastes.

2. The xx's Coexist

The xx really outdid themselves this time. Coexist is one of the most lucid, ethereal albums on this list by far and is the perfect music for going to sleep, relaxing, taking a walk… you name it. Coexist is a giant improvement from their debut album and deserves every second of praise it has received.

And drum roll please, ladies and gentlemen. Our #1 album of 2012 goes to … Of Monsters and Men's My Head Is An Animal.

Of Monsters and Men's My Head Is An Animal is just one big "wow" moment. After releasing this album, Of Monsters and Men stole the record for best chart performance out of any Icelandic artist in U.S. history. Its originality and star-quality earns itself the top spot on 2012's top 10 albums list.

And that concludes 2012's top 10 albums. While there were countless contenders that had merit, only the best of the best could earn a spot on the top 10 list. After a blowout year of awesome music, we can only hope that 2013 will treat us just as well. So farewell, 2012. Thanks for the memories — you'll live on forever in our hearts … ooooooor just our iTunes libraries.

In all seriousness, thanks to everyone who read this music column over the course of this semester. You all rule. Keep rockin' on, friends.