Courtesy of Matt Barnes

LIGHTS continues to shine bright

Valerie Anne Poxleitner will perform Friday at The Blue Note in support of her new album, Siberia.

By Lisa Conley | Nov. 8, 2012

Since the release of her self-titled debut EP in 2008, Valerie Anne Poxleitner has established herself as a force to be reckoned with in the music industry. After adopting the name LIGHTS, Valerie began her professional music career at 16 as a writer for Sony/ATV Music Publishing, but her interest in music began at a much earlier age.

“When I was 11, I learned a couple of chords on the guitar and fell in love with the concept of creating something out of thin air,” Poxleitner says.

After composing several songs for the Canadian television series "Instant Star," Poxleitner went on to record her first EP, which earned her a 2009 Juno award for New Artist of the Year.

That summer, LIGHTS appeared on Vans Warped Tour. Later that year, she released her first full-length album, The Listening. In an interview for ARTISTdirect.com, Poxleitner described the album as an emotional journey that chronicled her self-discoveries over a couple of years.

With her second studio album Siberia, released last year, Poxleitner found her sound straying from familiar polished pop and delving instead into a grittier sound influenced by the grimy beats of dubstep, according to the LIGHTS website.

Siberia is different because I’ve changed since The Listening.” LIGHTS says. “I’m still changing.”

Collaborating with Canadian electronic band Holy Fuck and rapper/hip-hop artist Shad, Poxleitner was able to create a unique, if not unexpected, sophomore album.

“The collaboration with Holy Fuck and Shad was so organic,” Poxleitner says. “It just sort of happened and that’s the exciting part: rolling with the punches.”

LIGHTS has been on tour in support of Siberia for the last two weeks. Her tour began on the west coast in San Francisco and will end in Boston.

“We had a day off in Arizona and went to these beautiful canyons,” Poxleitner says of the tour. “It was an opportunity to appreciate the bare necessity of nature.”

After the conclusion of her tour, LIGHTS will perform with deadmau5 at the 2013 Juno Awards on April 1. But before then, Poxleitner will visit Columbia for her first time, and she says she's excited.

“I have an awesome band, and the shows are always energetic,” LIGHTS said. “You can see it, hear it, feel it.”