Perpetual Groove to soothe Columbia

The Georgia-based band heads to The Blue Note.

By Ryan Shiner | Aug. 27, 2010

Fun, soothing songs with funky bass might be the best way to describe the melodic rock band Perpetual Groove, which will be jamming out Sept. 1 at The Blue Note.

"Our set list gets a bit more tricky on the road than it is at home," keyboardist John Hruby said. "We try to play more songs that people know."

The band plays like a good ol' fashion 1970s jam rock. Bands that come to mind when listening to Perpetual Groove include early Pink Floyd and Steely Dan. Hruby said bands such as these influenced him "a really good amount." When he started with the band two years ago, Hruby said some of the jams sounded like early 1970s music he liked.

With long songs like "Out Here," which has topped 16 minutes in a live performance, and "At the Screen," it is easy to get lost in the beat, lose track of time and forget what you were doing while listening. It is refreshing to see bands go back to this lost genre. In a world only known for simple drum beats and bar chords, it's good to see some bands get back into playing free jams.

"We've been received pretty well by audiences," Hruby said. "Our originals from the first album seem to be received the best. We have gone through periods of playing different kinds of music, like driving rock, and the audience generally receives the songs pretty well."

On top of playing long, complex songs with Perpetual Groove, Hruby has also played for many hip-hop artists such as Mr. Collipark, Ciara, The Ying Yang Twins and David Banner.

"It was interesting to say the least," Hruby said about his collaborations. "I didn't really listen to that much rap when I was a kid. It's more simplistic. A lot of times I was overplaying (the songs), and I had to simplify my part."

Hruby assured he does not crossover the rap style when playing with Perpetual Groove that often.

"I keep it separate," Hruby said. "It's not exactly what we try to do."

Getting back to the 10-year veteran jam band, the keyboardist spoke highly of its own writing style.

"It takes a lot of practice," Hruby said about the complexity of the band's songs. "We've had moments where we needed to practice a lot of jams to come out to what they are now. 'Teakwood Betz' (one of the band's noted songs) originally started out with just an easy guitar riff. Now it is one of our more complex songs."

Needless to say, Perpetual Groove definitely can bring many fans back in time to the 1970s, when bands were free to play long songs at any length.