Teen angst never ceases to amaze

Teenage angst brings back memories from high school.

By Ryan Shiner | Dec. 3, 2010

I don't know if it's because of recent events that have happened to me or not, but I have been listening to very angsty songs lately. First, to answer your question: No, I am not emo. But as of late, I have been listening to bands that talk about the "pain inside," or something to that effect. I don't know. But punk rock, hardcore and Linkin Park have all been sounding pretty damn good to me lately.

This isn't the exact angst you might recognize with the likes of Holden Caulfield (I really hate referencing "Catcher In The Rye," but that book is like chlamydia: It just keeps coming back), but it still reaches a certain level of "Look at me, I'm troubled but it's OK because you must feel like this too" sort of thing.

This might seem out of character now that I am in college. In college, they say you're supposed to get into really slow, ambient music and have your walls plastered with posters of Radiohead. Even though I do enjoy that alt-rock band, I just find it really hard to bring myself to listen to soothing music all the damn time and become the stereotypical college kid.

That being said, a lot of my favorite bands have been releasing or getting ready to release new music. And in anticipation of these new albums, some of my favorite websites (e.g. YouTube) have been showcasing older music by these bands to get people ready for the new albums. (Damn you VeVo and your advertisements.)

With the recent hype of A Day To Remember's What Separates Me From You, I found myself having to listen the band's previous album Homesick. It is always good to listen to something like pop-punk to put a hitch in your step when you have to walk almost a mile to your 8 a.m. class.

Plus, it's fun to reminisce about the fun and strange things you got to do in high school when listening to this kind of music, such as hearing your friend talk to his girlfriend on the phone, reciting lyrics from a Linkin Park song (that wasn't "Numb," "In The End" or "Crawling") in order to see if she got the reference. She didn't.

Of course, I have been listening to songs where the lyrics don't make the most sense. I distinctively remember having a conversation about Green Day's song "She." The first line of the song is: "She screams in silence." "She" is one of my favorite songs, but I do not have any idea what the hell that line means. Really, the only thing that comes to mind is "She" cannot let her feelings show. I really don't know. All I know is it's a cool line Billie Joe Armstrong wrote.

I really don't know what the cause of listening to all this angsty music was, but all I know is it came how most angst does: in a very similar message and not very genre-specific.