Reinvented musician to perform at The Blue Note

Former ‘90s pop star finds new career in country.

By Christine Cauthen | Oct. 15, 2010

Tags: Concerts Music

When you go on Jaron and the Long Road to Love’s Facebook page, the comments and wall posts from his loyal “frans” are overwhelming. The term “fran” is one that front man Jaron Lowenstein created himself.

“Well, I didn’t feel that my fans were just fans to me, because I have such an engaging relationship with them and I just felt that I know them better than just fans,” Lowenstein said. “So, fans was an inaccurate term and to call them friends wasn’t true either. So I put them together and decided that they’re my ‘frans.’”

The Georgia-born singer-songwriter is no newcomer to the world of music. He was one-half of the late-1990s to early-2000s duo Evan and Jaron. The twin brothers were popular for their hit song “Crazy For This Girl,” which was once No. 4 on Billboard Hot 100.

It came as a surprise when the former folk-pop artist turned to country, but the music isn’t hesitant or forced. It’s a natural transition for Lowenstein as an artist, and the “frans” seem to be more than accepting.

The country world is also very receptive of the change, with video play on popular country channels CMT and GAC. His video for “Pray For You” had a three-week run as No. 1 on MySpace country videos. The newest video for “That’s Beautiful To Me” features “Laguna Beach” and “The Hills” star Kristin Cavallari. The video shows a lighthearted couple and the love they share.

“We had a great time,” Lowenstein said. “It was a great day, and I think that that comes across on camera.”

The experiences Lowenstein has had as an artist have left him fearless when he performs. Nerves are no longer a factor for him — instead, excitement takes over.

“It’s kind of like when you were younger, if you had to make a speech in class,” Lowenstein said. “If you practiced, if you were confident and knew what you had to do, there’s nothing to be nervous about. And I’ve been performing for 17 years. You get nervous with the fear of the unknown. You’re just afraid of what could happen, and I’m not saying there’s something that couldn’t happen on stage, but I’ve been performing so long it’s just fun.”

This is Lowenstein’s first headlining tour to promote his debut solo album, "Getting Dressed in the Dark." As the fearless performer he is, Lowenstein and his excitement shine through on tour. Although it's hard work, he doesn’t let long days bring him down.

“I try to have fun doing every aspect of it, but the most fun I have is actually taking the stage and doing the event,” Lowenstein said.

The overall goal of Jaron and the Long Road to Love seems to be to have a great time, whether through the music he makes or the shows he puts on. Either way, Lowenstein hopes fans leave the show happy.

“When they spend their hard-earned money, I want them to have a great time,” Lowenstein said. “I want them to have fun, and they do. I guarantee it."

Jaron and The Long Road to Love will be performing at 8 p.m. Friday at The Blue Note.