Letter From the Editor

‘Sup MOVErs,

At long last, Roots N Blues N BBQ is upon us. It’s one of the major festivals that comes to Columbia, along with the True/False Film Festival and Citizen Jane. This is definitely something you should take advantage of. Roots N Blues will be bringing artists like The Avett Brothers, Houndmouth and The Oh Hellos this year.

Honestly, I’ve never been to Roots N Blues. Although I love BBQ and definitely love to get down to the blues, last year I was insanely sick with some ridiculous flu virus during the festival. I consumed only Campbell's soup and mushy crackers for a week and a half and missed the whole thing.

This year, I can’t wait to be at the festival. Healthy and ready to go, I will be rockin’ with all of you during this homegrown Columbia tradition. This is the 10th anniversary of Roots N Blues. During their 10-year history, they have welcomed a ton of big artists, like Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, Fitz and the Tantrums and ZZ Ward.

In this issue, you’ll find previews of big Roots N Blues artists Grace Potter and Ben Folds. You can also find reviews on the 27 food vendors and Spotify playlists for each day of the festival. This year, MOVE should be your go-to guide for all things Roots and Blues.

During the festival, keep an eye on our Twitter and Instagram (@MOVEmaneater) and like us on Facebook (MOVE Magazine). If you use the hashtag #MOVERnB, you might even end up on MOVE’s Instagram. We’ll have interviews with big artists, like Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats, so be sure to keep up with our content at move.themaneater.com.

Love and BBQ,

Katie

Ten things you need to know about Roots N Blues N BBQ

Try the food

One of the best things about Roots N Blues N BBQ is the BBQ. I mean, it _is_ in the name. At every Roots N Blues, businesses create unique creations like Harold’s Doughnuts BBQ sandwich — BBQ pulled pork on a doughnut bun, plus sides of slaw, beans and cheesy grits.

Roots N Blues has the best venue

Stephens Lake Park is one of the prettiest nature parks in Columbia, so the fact that Roots N Blues is there only adds to how cool the festival is. There are two stages, a variety of lounges and vendors (food, merchandise and crafts) for you to explore.

Go see the gospel celebration

Sunday at the festival features a gospel celebration from Broadway Christian Church, and the music is definitely something you should check out. Big, passionate vocals that you can clap along to represent the roots of the festival.

Don’t bring water (or anything else, really)

You’re not allowed to bring food or beverages into the venue, but don’t fear; there is free water inside the festival. If you’re looking to be environmentally friendly, feel free to bring a refillable water bottle.

Bring cash to buy crafts

There are 17 craft and nonprofit vendors at Roots N Blues this year, and the crafts are so trendy and cool that you won’t be able to resist. BE HIPPY, one of the craft vendors, is a lifestyle brand that sells T-shirts, and Williams HandMade Crafts is a shop that sells artisan crafts.

Next year? Volunteer

If you want to get into Roots N Blues and help run the festival, volunteering is for you. You can volunteer a few hours of your time and get a T-shirt and three-day pass to the festival. Positions range from the Accessibility Assistance Team to the Mercantile Team.

Look for the deals

Roots N Blues brings a lot of thrifty deals to Columbia. Participating retailers include ACME Hot & Fresh T-Shirts, Gidget's Garage, Makes Scents and The Peace Nook. Restaurants offering deals include 9th Street Public House, Hot Box Cookies, Nourish Cafe and Market, Ugly Mugg and Yogoluv. To see the rest of the local deals, head to the Roots N Blues website.

Don’t drive

Parking is going to be a wreck during the festival, but if you park in any of the parking garages downtown, you can take the free festival shuttle. You’ll be driven right to the gates of Roots N Blues, and buses start one hour before the festival begins every day. For other transportation, the city of Columbia will be running CoMo Connect for free the entire weekend. If you’re looking to be extra sustainable this weekend, ride your bike to the fest or walk — it’s only a roughly 15-minute walk from downtown.

Accessibility at Roots N Blues is important

Roots N Blues offers ADA parking as well as a flat route to the festival itself. Inside the festival, a golf-cart shuttle will be running around the grounds for all fans for free. There are marked stops around the festival, or you can call a posted number to get a ride.

Do Roots N Blues the way you want to

Roots N Blues is an event that can be tailored to anybody, so make it your own. You don’t have to stay all day if you don’t want to — just see your favorite artists, or come early and stay late. Roots N Blues is one of Columbia’s biggest festivals, so live it up and soak up the culture.

Sibling band The Oh Hellos fit right in with Roots N Blues’ folksy vibes

Since 2011, siblings Maggie and Tyler Heath have been jamming folk-rock style. The Texans lead The Oh Hellos, an emotional folk band with a big sound. The group has two albums, _Through the Deep, Dark Valley_ and _Dear Wormwood_, and a self-titled EP. Catch them Saturday at Roots N Blues N BBQ.

The siblings take turns leading vocals on their songs, but Tyler typically takes the lead. Maggie’s voice comes in high and clear, while Tyler’s moves through the music with a smooth, definitely bluesy twang. “Lay Me Down” is a wonderful song to hear Maggie leading the vocals. In most of their songs, it’s hauntingly beautiful to hear the harmonies of their backup singers echoing behind them, and when the siblings come together, it’s powerful and moving in a way that many folk bands try to be.

The Oh Hellos’ overall sound hits all the right notes for a folk band. They fit well alongside festival headliners The Avett Brothers. Their songs move slowly and sound soft and haunting much of the time. Intense vocals are backed by a myriad of instruments.

“Dear Wormwood” is a soft, smooth song. It’s also the title song of The Oh Hellos’ latest album, so there’s a good chance they’ll bring this haunting tune to Roots N Blues. The repeated line, “I know who you are now,” drives the buildup of the song until it bursts into an instrumentally and vocally driven section of the song.

“Wishing Well” from their first album is another good song to hear Maggie leading the vocals. It’s kind of sad, but the groove is good and the backup vocals swell together to create an aching harmony.

The Oh Hellos play on Saturday at 4 p.m., so it’s a great concert to break up your day. Sit and sway to the powerful, folksy vocals and clap with the music. They’re guaranteed to be a nice, chill concert, so grab some BBQ and hang out with The Oh Hellos at the Missouri Lottery Stage.

Check out our playlist to get you grooving to the right tunes. It has a mix of The Oh Hellos’ best hits with their most moving lyrics and best sounds, as well as a few songs by other bands similar to them, if you want to get into that sort of thing.

Go forth and folk-rock your hearts out, Roots N Blues-ers.

Food vendors to look out for at Roots N Blues N BBQ
Sugarfire Smokehouse
If you want barbeque that has consistently been ranked among the best in St. Louis, go to Sugarfire Smokehouse’s booth. Sugarfire will be serving a range of traditional barbeque food, such as their brisket sandwich, pulled pork sandwich and ribs, but the booth will also serve their smoked giant chocolate chip cookies. Mic drop.
Grill-A-Brothers
This name may sound familiar, as it is one of the few food trucks that has graced Speakers Circle for Food Truck Friday. If you do not recognize the name, maybe the giant gorilla (that reminds you of Harambe) featured on the front of the truck rings a bell. Having personally tried their General Tso and Tsos sandwich, I can attest that the food is amazing and very picture-worthy if you like sharing your food with the world on social media. Grill-A-Brothers will be serving only four of the sandwiches featured on their usual menu, along with Route 11 chips. Don’t fret; the General Tso and Tsos sandwich is one of them.
Not'Cho Ordinary Taco
For those craving tacos with a fun twist, Not’Cho Ordinary Taco is “a family owned and operated gourmet taco truck.” The variety of taco options ranges from their NeverFake Cheesesteak taco to their Hawaiian Surf and Turf taco. These are only two of the eight options you can choose from, with each option being as delicious and not-so-ordinary-sounding as the next. Casey McTavish, co-owner of Not’Cho Ordinary Taco, had some recommendations.
“The Hawaiian Surf and Turf [includes] teriyaki glazed steak and shrimp, covered in melted Swiss cheese, topped with lettuce, pineapple chutney, and our delicious spicy aioli,” McTravish said in an email. “The Slammin Salmon [includes] seasoned salmon glazed with a sweet balsamic reduction, topped with spinach, a fresh strawberry jalapeno salsa, feta cheese, slivered almonds, and drizzled lightly with more balsamic reduction.”
If this description does not make you salivate, Not’Cho Ordinary Taco’s recent win in the People's Choice Award at the Missouri Food Truck Festival in Springfield, Missouri, should get those taste buds tingling with anticipation.
Ozark Mountain Biscuit Truck
Another food truck that has visited campus, Ozark Mountain Biscuit Truck, will be serving something as simple as their Ozark Mountain Biscuit with apple butter — my roommate’s favorite — and something more complicated like the Boss Hog, “an open faced biscuit with simmered greens, pulled pork, sawmill gravy, a fried egg, arkan-sauce and crispy fried onions,” according to their online menu.
Jamaican Jerk Hut
If you’re looking for food not usually found in the Midwest, Jamaican Jerk Hut is your solution. Hailing from Philadelphia, Jamaican Jerk Hut offers a selection of traditional Jamaican dishes. Items on its menu include: Jamaican beef patties, jerk chicken with coconut red beans and rice, curry chicken with coconut red beans and rice, jerk wings, Rasta lemonade and more.
Lakota Coffee
If the festival is starting to wear you down, Lakota Coffee will give you a boost so that you can keep your energy levels up. Lakota will be serving coffee, tea, hot chocolate, hot apple cider, strawberry lemonade, lemonade, iced chai and a variety of snacks.
Peggy Jean’s Pies
Peggy Jean’s Pies is a “retail bakery” located here in Columbia. For those looking to fulfill a sweet tooth, their selection of “all kinds of pies!” could do no wrong.
Harold’s Doughnuts
Another sweet tooth supplement and business in Columbia, Harold’s Doughnuts will be serving traditional glazed doughnuts along with cake doughnuts, and — plot twist — “BBQ pulled pork on a doughnut bun, plus sides of slaw, beans, and cheesy grits,” according to their festival menu. Harold’s is ambitious and looking to fulfill your craving for both sweet and savory.
Giofre Apiaries
Looking to cool down in the relative heat that is expected for the weekend? Giofre Apiaries brings a new twist on traditional ice cream to the table. Giofre Apiaries is a family business owned by married couple Nancy and Dominic Apiarie.
“We are a local company making honey ice cream,” Dominic Apiarie said in an email. “We will be bringing several unique flavors with us: such as blackberry and cream, pumpkin, and root beer float, along with our popular flavors. All of which are unique in being made with honey.”
Giofre Apiaries’ will also be offering honey stix and bottled honey as well.
Houndmouth

Houndmouth lead vocalist Matt Myers doesn’t exactly know why he always wanted to play music, but he feels he made the right choice. When Myers was 12 years old, he knew that he wanted a guitar. From that point on, music has played a major role in his life as well as his career.

“I just messed with [the guitar] for years by myself in my room,” Myers said. “[It was] the only thing I really put myself into 100 percent.”

Houndmouth is a three-piece indie folk band from New Albany, Indiana. Despite the recent departure of founding member Katie Toupin, the band is continuing to tour and promote their most recent album, _Little Neon Limelight_. The folk rockers will be stopping by Columbia to perform at the annual Roots N Blues N BBQ Festival on Friday.

Myers describes the creative process of _Little Neon Limelight_ as a collaborative effort. Each band member had parts of certain songs written, and when they all came together to rehearse, they took those small fragments and transformed them into fully-fledged songs.

“We were giving each other verses and choruses and bridges,” Myers said. “There was literally like a bunch of pieces just scattered around with similar subject matter. It was just a matter of coming together.”

Touring and the promotion of their second LP hasn’t stopped the songwriting process. Myers said the band has been writing on a regular basis and that work on the third record has already begun. However, while plenty of writing has taken place, the band is not in the recording stages of their third album because of constant touring and life on the road. Myers said that life on the road can be physically exhausting and time-consuming.

“Being on the road is weird and it kind of takes a toll on you and kind of makes you hate music for a while,” Myers said. “So, we had to come back home and get together like we used to and just have fun and make music again. So that’s kind of what we’re doing right now. We’re just relearning how to have fun.”

You can catch Houndmouth’s set at Roots N Blues N BBQ at 6:30 p.m. on the Great Southern Bank Stage.

Nathaniel Rateliff

In the late ‘90s, Nathaniel Rateliff and close friend Joseph Pope III moved from Hermann, Missouri, to Denver, Colorado, hoping to make music. The two formed the duo Born in the Flood but eventually went on to create Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats with five other musicians.

Nearly every member of the band is able to play more than one instrument, but on stage, Pope and Rateliff play guitar and are accompanied by Mark Shusterman (keyboard), Patrick Meese (drums), Wesley Watkins (trumpet), Andy Wild (saxophone) and Luke Mossman (bass).

The group is considered a gospel-soul-folk-rock band which released their first album in August 2015. The self-titled album was made popular by its lead single “S.O.B.,” which topped the Billboard adult alternative chart five months after its release. The fame garnered from “S.O.B.” continued to grow at an alarming rate. After performances on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon and the success of other singles, “Howling at Nothing” and “I Need Never Get Old,” both from the album, the band was asked to perform last April on Coachella’s main stage.

Now, Rateliff and Pope are coming home. The Missouri natives and the rest of The Night Sweats will be performing at the Roots N Blues N BBQ festival.

Jack Gilkey, a junior at Mizzou and a fan of the group, says his favorite quality about the band is their disposition. “I got to see them perform at Coachella, and it was entertaining and humbling all at the same time,” he said. “On stage were seven guys with unbelievable talent at one of the biggest festivals in the United States, yet they acted like it wasn’t even a big deal. They really took the spotlight off of themselves and made it all about the music.”

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats perform at 9:30 on Sept. 30 on the Missouri Lottery Stage.

Roots N Blues Gospel

Roots N Blues Recipes
Barbecue Fries
Riley Morris
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
  • 5 tablespoons olive oil
  • 6 tablespoons barbecue sauce
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
  • 2 pounds russet or baking potatoes (3 potatoes), scrubbed
  • Sour cream (optional)
  • Heat oven to 450 F. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the oil onto a rimmed baking sheet.
  • In a large bowl, combine the remaining oil, the barbecue sauce, hot pepper sauce, black pepper, paprika and cumin (if using).
  • Cut each potato lengthwise into 8-10 wedges. Add them to the bowl and toss. Spread the potatoes in a single layer on the prepared sheet. Bake, turning once, until golden and tender, 25-30 minutes. Serve hot with the sour cream for dipping (if desired).
Barbecue Chicken
Charlotte Doughty
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
  • 1 whole chicken, into halves
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 cup barbeque sauce, or as needed
  • Cut 1/2-inch deep slashes in the skin-side of each chicken half; two cuts in each breast, two in the thigh, and one on the leg; remove wing tips. Whisk rice vinegar, barbeque sauce and garlic together in large bowl. Place chicken in bowl and turn to coat chicken in the marinade. Arrange chicken halves, cut-side down, in the bottom of the marinade bowl, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  • Preheat an outdoor grill on medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
  • Remove chicken from bowl, pat chicken dry with paper towels and discard marinade. Place chicken halves, skin-side up, on a plate and season with salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder and cayenne pepper.
  • Cook chicken, skin-side down, on the preheated grill for 3-4 minutes. Turn chicken over, close the lid of the grill, and cook, basting with remaining barbecue sauce every 6 minutes, until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 35 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Crack Corn
Emerson Davis
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
  • 6 ears corn, husked
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • Lime wedges
  • Heat grill to high. Oil grates and add corn. Grill, turning, 5 minutes.
  • Baste, while grilling, until totally slathered in crack sauce and grill until charred and tender, 5 minutes more.
  • Squeeze with lime and serve.
Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork
Rachel McCullough
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Hours
  • 3-4 pounds pork loin roast
  • Pork rub of your favorite seasonings
  • 12 ounces Dr. Pepper
  • Barbecue sauce
  • Season the pork roast with seasoning or rub on all sides.
  • Place roast in slow cooker.
  • Pour in Dr. Pepper.
  • Cook on low for 10-12 hours.
  • Drain most of the liquid and use tongs to shred the pork.
  • Add barbecue sauce to taste.
  • Stir well and reduce temperature to warm for serving.
  • Serve on buns.
Texas Brisket
Austin Walker
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 7 Hours
  • 3 1/2 fluid ounces liquid smoke flavoring
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 (10-ounce) bottle steak sauce (e.g. Heinz 57)
  • 1 (3-pound) beef brisket
  • Line a shallow roasting pan with aluminum foil. Place the brisket on the foil. Stir together the steak sauce, liquid smoke and ketchup. Pour half of the mixture over the brisket, then turn the meat over and pour sauce over the other side. Wrap tightly in a double layer of aluminum foil. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
  • Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Let the roast stand at room temperature while the oven preheats to take off some of the chill.
  • Bake for 6-7 hours in the oven. You can leave it in even longer if you turn the oven down to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C). Remove brisket from oven and slice across the grain. Return to the roasting pan and serve with sauce.
Veteran Volunteer

Melissa Langley

Roots N Blues N BBQ offers Columbia much more than great music and savory barbecue; the people who come together and offer their time to the community truly unite it in a way that no brisket ever could. Many of these hardworking individuals are volunteers, who perform a variety of services for anyone and everyone at the festival.

MOVE spoke with second-year volunteer Melissa Langley about why she loves helping out at Roots N Blues N BBQ, how she got into volunteering and what makes this festival so great.

Q: What do you do as a volunteer at the festival?

A: I assist in taking our disabled guests around the park via motorized handicapped carts so that they can enjoy the numerous activities, music and great food.

Q: Describe your experiences volunteering with Roots N Blues N BBQ.

A: I love the fact that the festival provides assistance to those who would otherwise find it too difficult to attend. They have found a way to include and accommodate just about everyone. I think that’s awesome and is what makes Columbia such an amazing town. I met so many wonderful people last year and they were all so gracious and appreciative. Everyone at the festival works together like one big family. It’s amazing and I’m honored to be part of it.

Q: How did you get into volunteering at the festival? Did anything specifically inspire you to do that?

A: Being single and having just moved back to Columbia in 2015 after a twenty-year hiatus elsewhere, I was looking for volunteer opportunities in Columbia as an alternative way of meeting people. I met former Sen. Chuck Graham at a political fundraiser at Whiskey Wild when I was the house dance instructor. We became good friends and eventually neighbors. He told me about the volunteer opportunities at Roots and Blues and suggested I volunteer in the ADA section, as he is the ADA coordinator. I jumped at the chance. Chuck was left paralyzed after a car accident at the age of 16. Knowing Chuck as a friend, and having seen him navigate through his home and through Columbia in his wheelchair, I’ve seen some of the obstacles that he faces on a day to day basis. Although these tasks are completely normal to him, and he thinks nothing of happily trekking his way everywhere, I can’t help but think of how much more effort he has to put forward to do tasks that I take for granted. I feel like it’s the least I can do and it makes me feel good.

Q: Why do you love volunteering at Roots N Blues N BBQ?

A: It makes me feel like I’m truly part of my community. I learned from an early age about volunteering from my grandparents who delivered “Meals on Wheels.” My sisters and I tagged along for many summers and spring breaks as my grandma and grandpa took meals to people who couldn’t get out of their homes or even afford the food at times. I remember the sense of satisfaction I got knowing that these people were eating a warm meal because of our efforts. It’s an indescribable pride that comes from the giving of your time with no expectation in return. The volunteers of RBBBQ do get “compensated,” per-say, by getting to attend part of the festival for free, but I don’t think that’s why everyone does it. It’s nice being part of something that brings so much unity to our city. So many people have come together to coordinate this massive event. People come from near and far, yet it feels like we are one big family.

Q: What makes Roots N Blues so special?

A: What I think makes it so special is that it’s all inclusive in every way. From the services provided, like free buses and ADA assistance to the wide range of people that attend (i.e. adults, children and elderly), the different genres of music (both on a national and local level), and the range of food vendors, crafts, the art and activities. Even the hours being from morning til night, so everyone can enjoy some part of it. Let’s not forget the program the organizers have put in place in our schools for the kids to learn about blues music, [Blues in the Schools]. Plus the fact that the organizers have made huge efforts to have “green” containers around the event to promote recycling. I guess the better questions would be what “isn’t” special about Roots N Blues. It’s just part of what makes Columbia a great place to live.

Ben Folds
Ben Folds closes out the Great Southern Bank Stage for the third and final day of the Roots N Blues N BBQ festival at Stephens Lake Park on Oct. 2. Folds is one of over 30 musicians playing at the festival, which has been held in Columbia since 2007. He goes on at 6:30 p.m.

The band

Folds is known for his involvement in the popular ‘90s band, Ben Folds Five, and has now been performing solo since the early 2000s. Folds has released five studio albums in the past 15 years, but his involvement in the music scene goes much further. Along with five EPs and other types of albums, Folds performed the music for Over the Hedge, judged a cappella show The Sing-Off and appeared in We’re the Millers and Community. Fans of Folds don’t have to look far to find opportunities to hear his music. Folds has performed on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, and “Rockin’ the Suburbs” was in the first episode of The Comix Scrutinizer.

Parking

Anyone planning on attending the festival should plan to park their car in any of the parking lots in downtown Columbia. Weekend parking is free in garages downtown, but be sure to pay if you arrive before 6 p.m. on Friday. Shuttles from the garages will start an hour before the gates open each day. Bikers can ride straight to the festival gates and use the secure bicycle and stroller parking provided at the facility. COMO Connect is also free the weekend of the festival, and Stephens Lake Park is only a mile from downtown Columbia.

Noteworthy tunes

This week, I asked a Ben Folds fan to contribute to the playlist. The first half of the list is from Springfield, Missouri, resident Karl Eggers. Eggers has never seen Folds live but is considering going to the festival this weekend.

This song is a follow-up to Ben Folds Five’s song “Cigarette” about Fred Jones, who was always busy taking care of his wife. In “Fred Jones Part 2,” Jones loses his job at the newspaper.

One of my favorite parts of this pick is the very last lyrics. Throughout the song, it seems like Annie is waiting for someone, and it ends with “Annie waits, but not for me.” This is a powerful way to finish a song.

The last of Eggers’ picks, “Jesusland,” is an embodiment of Ben Folds’ style as a musician. It includes the funny, political lyrics he is known for over beautifully composed instrumentals.

This song is catchy and funny, which in retrospect could be said for most of Folds’ music. His lyrics seem to be political and, as any artist tries to include, has a message for the listener. It’s one of my favorite Ben Folds songs. Also, Regina Spektor is a wonderful singer (she’s sings the Orange is the New Black intro tune, by the way.)

This song off of Ben Folds’ 2015 album, _So There,_ and has a more positive beat compared to some of Folds’ other songs. It offers a hopeful, catchy tune, and it shows the true talent he has as a composer.

I don’t even have a reason for this; I just love it. Who else could get away with these lyrics over piano riffs?

One of my friends made me a mix CD with this song on it a few years back, and I still listen to it on long drives alone and to entertain new friends in the car.

I really love Regina Spektor, not just in “You Don’t Know Me” and the _Orange is the New Black_ opening song, but also in her other work. Both Spektor and Folds have unique work, but this song reminds me of “Gone” by Folds.

Grace Potter

Rock superstar Grace Potter will perform this year at Roots N Blues N BBQ, and she has fans from all over the community revved up for her show. She has performed in Columbia with her former American rock band, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, in the past, but she will take the stage as a solo artist this Saturday night.

Columbia resident and five-time Roots N Blues goer Ashley Gross-Minor is a Grace Potter super fan and is excited, to say the least, for Potter’s performance this weekend.

“I saw [Grace Potter] at The Blue Note a few years ago and she is absolutely amazing,” Gross-Minor said in an email. “Her albums come to life onstage through her voice and her dynamic performance.”

Gross-Minor likes Grace Potter and her music for many reasons, one of which is “her style and ability to not change to fit mainstream pop.” This, in turn, gives off a vibe of “real music.”

“Her voice is unreal, and she is incredibly vulnerable in her lyrics and the emotion she evokes through voice is so raw,” Gross-Minor said in an email. “She’s rough on the edges, plays guitar like a boss, and is a bad-ass lady.”

Gross-Minor’s favorite songs include “Nothing But the Water Part 1,” “Hot Summer Night,” “Medicine,” “Stars” and “Empty Heart.”

Local photographer Natalie Shocklee called Grace Potter her favorite female vocalist, and she is also very much looking forward to her performance at the festival this weekend.

“Grace has a soulful, bluesy voice, and her stage presence is absolutely amazing,” Shocklee said in an email. “In my opinion, there is no other female singer who can top what Grace does.”

In 2012, Shocklee saw Grace Potter and the Nocturnals in concert at The Blue Note, and she describes the experience as “eye-opening.”

“It was my first time seeing her perform and I was beyond impressed,” Shocklee said in an email. “I’ll never forget when she came out on stage and covered ‘White Rabbit.’”

Some of Shocklee’s favorite Grace Potter songs include “Toothbrush and My Table,” “Ragged Company” and “Treat Me Right.” As for albums, her most recent solo album, _Delirious_, is a favorite because of its “different feel” from older albums.

This is Shocklee’s first time attending Roots N Blues N BBQ, and she looks forward to experiencing a Columbia “staple event.”

Grace Potter will perform at 8:45 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 1 at the Great Southern Bank Stage.

Roots and Blues from 10 years past

Editor’s note: This is MOVE’s first Roots N Blues article from Sept. 12, 2007, four days after the very first Roots N Blues ended. Now, Roots N Blues is three days instead of two, but it still hosts big artists just like in the beginning.

If you were anywhere near downtown Columbia last weekend, you were probably overwhelmed by the smell of grease and the wall of guitars.

Peace Park was filled with aging hippies and young children dancing spiritedly to the music of some of the greatest blues, folk and roots legends of the modern day. You also would have been among the tens of thousands of blues buffs and smoked meat mavens who traveled from across the Midwest to share in the festival experience.

The Roots N Blues N BBQ Festival featured a bill of over 30 acts — local, regional and national — and over 50 competitors in the barbeque competition.

The teams tested their skills while local vendors fired their grills, offering everything from Jamaican jerk-style meat to standard burgers and ‘dogs.

But it was the music that truly made the weekend memorable.

Friday’s highlights included a spirited show from gospel legends, the Blind Boys of Alabama; a slew of well-chosen Motown and ‘60s soul covers from the North Mississippi Allstars, including Wilson Pickett’s “Everybody Needs Somebody to Love;” and a rare performance from Sierra Leone’s Refugee Allstars.

Eighth Street and Broadway were packed to capacity on Saturday for the headlining show from virtuoso blues guitarist Taj Mahal.

Columbia has never been so happy to have the blues.