together PANGEA hits hard with latest album

As the reemergence of great garage rock continues to make its way from the deep underground California scenes, more and more bands are proving up to the challenge of reinvigorating rock while never straying from the simplistic, DIY nature that so many teenagers find refuge in.

A raw, rambunctious group of three LA inhibitors, together PANGEA is in the midst of this nitty-gritty rock revolution.

In the last two years, the group has had the privilege of opening for the who’s who of their genre, including Ty Segall, Wavves and Black Lips, and has cut its teeth in the way bands become successful: by touring consistently and handling the madness of life on the road well enough to still be alive.

Since its beginning, together PANGEA (formerly titled just “PANGEA”) has released two other albums chock full of raucous mosh anthems, combining the intensity of hard rock and the youthful punk arrangements that garage rock fans have come to know and love (see the boozy, mayhem mastering “Too Drunk to Come” and “Make Me Feel Weeeird”).

Yet these songs are somewhat ordinary for the genre — they’re fun, fantastic in the moment and perfect for a punk-filled party, but don’t necessarily hold much emotion. There’s also not much genuine lust for critical acclaim. But hey, that’s punk rock in a nutshell.

With their recently released third LP, Badillac, the group has found a way to create a more mature, yet still dangerously rowdy sound that is exactly what rock fans across the world should be reveling in. It’s a sound that takes the stressors and terrifying nature of love and loss, and shoves them right through the gauntlet of heavy drums and even heavier guitar chaos.

The sounds of the sleaze-heavy blues of the White Stripes, the surf punk melodies of Wavves and the timeless acoustic touch of Neil Young go far and wide on Badillac. Splintering layers of guitar riffs on top of the grainy and gratifying voice of William Keegan inhibit gems such as the melancholy-meets-mesmerizingly brutal “Offer” and title track “Badillac.” It’s a combination of sadness and joy, perspiration and soul — something rock music should always be remembered for.

Tenacious hard rock helps kick this album off with a “was that a gunshot or is my engine fucked?” bang. “Alive,” an early Black Sabbath-like track with slow guttural guitar licks, shifts towards a skate-punk chorus that leaves listeners gasping for breath with a healthy amount of neck soreness.

The transition between emotionally torn, melodic tracks to everlasting punk flair show together PANGEA has found a way to convey intensity and fire with gentle sadness. The band has come into its own, and will be electrifying fans with the tightly boisterous sound it has proven it’s more than capable of.