FIDLAR: Perspiration and punk rock hit Mojo’s on Monday

Date and time: 9 p.m. Monday Venue: Mojo’s Price: $12

For those who prefer spontaneity in life and punk rock in its purest form, FIDLAR’s concert at Mojo’s should definitely be an event of interest.

The Los Angeles skate-punk outfit (who attribute their band’s name to their old mantra “Fuck it dog, life’s a risk”) is all set to play in Columbia alongside The Orwells on Monday. Recognized for embracing and indulging in life’s numerous highs, they will undoubtedly put on an energizing and enjoyable show.

The four-piece band is comprised of Zac Carper and Elvis Kuehn on guitar and vocals, Brandon Schwartzel on bass and Max Kuehn on drums.

Though the group has released only one full-length studio album and a handful of EPs, they have enjoyed a constant and rapid increase in popularity from their formation in 2009. This culminated in a recent tour in which FIDLAR opened for popular surf-punk band Wavves, ushering in a much faster period of recognition for the group.

FIDLAR’s classically punk attitude towards society’s “unwritten” social rules (this is obvious during Carper’s near-chanting of “I don’t care if you think it’s cool” during “Stoked And Broke”) has continually managed to captivate and interest anyone willing to listen or expand their musical preferences. This is completely understandable; FIDLAR’s sound far surpasses your standard grungy crooning, and it serves to represent a newer era of skate punk listeners.

After drawing in prospective fans with fast-paced melodies (“No Waves,” “Wait For The Man” or “5 To 9”), the band indulges their fans in an addictive “dirty fingernails” sound, echoing the sound of prolific punk groups — think Thee Oh Sees, or the tireless musical endeavors of the late Jay Reatard.

Thanks to this mesh of influences and individuality, Monday’s performance is set to appeal to a plethora of musical tastes. FIDLAR has adopted a style that some might find obscure, but still manage to make any crowd move with raw, unfiltered excitement. Monday night’s set list will include a variety of songs from their self-titled release, and will enthrall anyone wishing for a great night out.