Straight Outta CoMo: Kendrick Lamar is taking Control

In case you didn’t get the memo, Kendrick Lamar is apparently the King of New York.

Lamar was recently featured in Big Sean’s newest single, "Control." While Big Sean is hosting the song in his newest album Hall of Fame, Lamar completely stole the show on this track.

In arguably one of the best verses in hip-hop this year, Lamar declares himself the King of New York (yeah, you heard him, The Lonely Island), and one of the three best rappers ever — the other two rappers he placed in his category being Jay-Z and Nas.

No disrespect to Eminem, Andre 3000, Biggie Smalls and 2Pac at all, though, because Lamar claims they’re too old and out of the game to be involved in this discussion.

During that same verse, Lamar calls out J. Cole, Big K.R.I.T., Wale, Pusha T, Meek Mill, A$AP Rocky, Drake, Tyler, The Creator and Mac Miller. Heck, he even calls out Jay Electronica and Big Sean, who are both on the track.

In Lamar’s words, “I got love for you all, but I'm tryna murder you n*ggas.” In the words of the movie Dodgeball, “That’s a bold strategy, Cotton. Let’s see if it pays off for them.”

Frankly I think this move by Compton’s Finest is completely necessary. Lamar established himself as one of the best rappers out there after his latest album, good kid m.A.A.d city, was certified platinum by the RIAA and given an XXL rating by XXL Magazine, which only eight other rap albums have received on first review.

No longer does Kendrick Lamar want to be considered a rising star — he wants to be a star. He has accolades to back up his talk as being hip-hop’s elite. His music has shown the maturity all hip-hop giants have.

So let’s give this guy the respect he deserves. He demands and deserves it. While he isn’t the king of hip-hop and not even New York, he has established himself as the West Coast’s most talented rapper and he wants his respect now.