Conor Maynard is Britain’s version of Justin Bieber

"So turn around, floating so high up off the ground, / Floating so high, turn around, / Together nothing can stop us now, listen baby."

So Conor Maynard sings in the chorus of "Turn Around" featuring R&B singer Ne-Yo. Maynard's debut album, Contrast, was released in the United States on Jan. 8.

Maynard has been dubbed the "British Bieber" by many critics, including Billboard. However, it isn't surprising that the two share similar backstories. Maynard got his start by posting videos on YouTube and is mentored by a popular R&B singer (Ne-Yo). Although Contrast is Maynard's debut album, it's missing one key piece: originality.

To put it bluntly, the album could be considered a carbon copy of Bieber's earlier work, specifically Bieber's My World. Every song has a Bieber-like and boy-band flare that fails to impress those who are familiar with Bieber's work.

However, the song "Pictures" has potential. The song shows off a falsetto, reminiscent of Justin Timberlake, which proves Maynard can actually sing (an important quality in today's auto-tuned world). His vocal range can be heard in the lines "What am I gonna show to my kids girl? / When I'm older and my mind is telling me to forget you, / What's gonna make me remember?"

Contrast's third single, "Turn Around" is addictive. One listen and listeners will be hooked. The song incorporates piano, which can be clearly heard at the beginning of the track and during the chorus. “Turn Around” has an upbeat tempo that makes people want to get up and dance.

Maynard may not have the first name Justin, but he sure fits in with the Justin’s of pop music. He even nicknamed his fans: “Mayniacs.” Only time will tell if his career takes the same path as his Canadian counterpart.