Sheeran returns with a song worthy of Middle-earth

On Tuesday, Ed Sheeran released his first new song in two years: “I See Fire,” written for “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” which hits theaters Dec. 13. The song will be played during the end credits of the film.

I’m normally not a fan of end credit songs made by famous musicians just for the movie, but I haven’t stopped listening to “I See Fire” since its release. It’s so good.

It seems like the track summarizes the film well with references to the dragon, the forests and the impending destruction. That’s what end credit songs should do, after all. Sheeran starts off the track by singing, without any instrumental back up, about “misty eye of the mountain below.” The whole song has an almost Celtic vibe about it, typical of the “Lord of the Rings” franchise.

As the song progresses, Sheeran’s percussive guitar playing comes in, slowly building up a wall of sound to back up his voice.

I was already anticipating the release of the new “Hobbit,” which is bringing back one of my favorite actor pairings, Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch (What? I need something to hold me over until season three of “Sherlock”), but this song has reminded me how much I love Middle-earth in general.

On his official Twitter, Sheeran said that he plays every instrument on the track apart from the cello. This is proved by the music video that Peter Jackson, the director of the film, released on his YouTube channel.

The video gives a behind-the-scenes look at the recording of the track as well as some shots from the upcoming movie.

If anything, “I See Fire” should make Tolkienites even more excited. Even though it has vocals, and isn’t completely instrumental, it still stays true to the series and it fits in well with the previous soundtracks.

MOVE gives “I See Fire” 5 out of 5 stars.