The Lumineers: simplistic and timeless in debut album

“I belong with you, you belong with me / You’re my sweetheart,” vocalist Wesley Schultz assures us on The Lumineers’ popular track “Ho Hey.” Don’t let the easygoing, effortless nature of that song – or any of the others on The Lumineers fool you, though. The Denver band has been making music for eight years before producing their debut album.

Though rather Mumford & Sons-esque, the trio still has a sound that’s all their own. The album is categorized as alternative, but after a closer listen, there are hints of folk, rock and gospel. This is largely due to cellist Neyla Pekarek, who adds character to each song.

The standout track from The Lumineers is “Ho Hey,” which gained popularity after it appeared on Bing commercials. After that, the song made its rounds on all the major radio stations across the country.

On the hit track, Schultz sings about the realization that he and his significant other belong together. Although the track has a hint of somberness—the combination of Schultz singing slowly and his raspy voice are big contributors— the song possesses a somewhat singalong quality.

As a whole, the album shares a common theme: love. Each song describes different kinds of love that a person may experience through out the course of their life: bad love (“Slow It Down”), running away from love (“Stubborn Love”) or loving a child (“Charlie Boy”). The songs are simplistic, yet timeless in their own way.

The Lumineers are a force to be reckoned with. Even though they don’t sing your favorite song on the radio— perhaps Taylor Swift’s “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”? — The Lumineers have proven change isn’t necessarily a bad thing. According to Rolling Stone, the band is nominated for two Grammy awards for Best New Artist and Best Americana Album.

Now that The Lumineers have gone from nobodies to somebodies, listeners should hope that they produce another album in the near future (hopefully, in less than eight years.)