The girls behind the music: Megan & Liz

In the age of the Internet, anyone can be a YouTube sensation. Rewind to 2008, when Scooter Braun discovered Justin Bieber on YouTube and passed him onto Usher, who later helped him score a record deal. Today, Bieber is one of the most popular singers, and he is only 18 years old. Seems with a little hard work, perseverance and digital help, success is definitely possible. This year, the girl group Megan & Liz is the one for which to look out.

Who exactly are the girls behind Megan & Liz? Megan and Liz Mace are 19-year-old fraternal twin sisters who grew up in Edwardsburg, Mich. Megan is the older sister, but only by one minute. The sisters first made their YouTube debut at age 15 with an original song titled “This Note.” As of June 2012, this dynamic duo has posted more than 28 original songs on its YouTube channel.

Growing up, Megan & Liz drummed up quite a following. The sisters were ranked #34 on YouTube’s most subscribed musician list. In addition, they have 723,958 subscribers and more than 168 million video views. After the sisters decided to relocate to Nashville in May 2011, they were added to the roster of Nashville Hootenanny’s "Teen Hoot," a social media community that monthly broadcasts talented and popular musicians on the Web and in the area.

Before the release of their debut album, Megan & Liz released a Christmas album titled A Twinning Christmas, released Nov. 15, 2011. In June earlier that year, the sisters announced on their YouTube channel that they had begun production on their debut album to be released in the spring of 2012.

Leading up to the release of their debut album, Megan & Liz performed at many music festivals, including the annual 107.5 The River's Acoustic Christmas 2011 concert, performing alongside big names such as Demi Lovato, Andy Grammer, Hot Chelle Rae and Cobra Starship.

In May 2012, Megan & Liz won the Macy’s iHeart Radio Rising Star contest, giving them the privilege of opening for the iHeart Radio Musical Festival held in Las Vegas in September. Their single “Bad for Me,” which was released July 31, was featured on a national Macy’s back-to-school commercial. “Bad for Me” was co-written by Martin Johnson, lead singer of Boys Like Girls.

The sisters' fourth EP, This Time, was released February 28, 2012, and sold in select F.y.e stores nationwide. On August 13, the music video for their newest song, “Bad For Me,” premiered on their official YouTube account.

I predict Megan & Liz have what it takes to be among the ranks of big music stars today. They might have to work to get there, but they have shown everyone they have the dedication, passion and drive to get to where they want to be.