Radio Repeat: Call me already!

What about this radio repeat? There’s no doubt “Call Me Maybe” is the most overplayed song of the year, if not the impending decade. Half of us love it, half of us hate it. I’m here to convert all the haters.

“Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepsen has taken over the airwaves. It might be surprising to learn that Jepsen is 26 and not 16, and placed third in Canadian Idol, proving she’s got some pipes.

“Maybe” was written originally as a folk song by Jepsen and a pal, but evolved as a pop song after production. Jepsen notes her musical inspirations include La Roux, Kimbra, James Taylor and Janis Ian.

The song has caught some flak on the interwebs about the cheesy lyrics, specifically the ambiguous “so call me maybe” line. People are arguing, “Why even bother saying maybe? She should just say, ‘Hey, call me!’”

Personally, I think it’s cute. It’s like, “It was nice to meet you! You’re cute and we hit it off. This totally isn’t me, but I’m going to give you my number. And (if you’re not a total tool) you should give me a call sometime if you want to hang out again.” She’s just being sweet and considerate, not cowardly. At the very least she doesn’t rhyme "me" with "me" (”Part of Me” by Katy Perry, anyone?).

Speaking of lyrics, I can’t express how stoked I was when I nailed “Your stare was holdin’, ripped jeans, skin was showin’, hot night, wind was blowin’, where you think you’re goin’, baby?” for the first time. ‘Twas glorious.

If you’ve used the Internet at all in the past few months, you’ve most likely noticed that catchy beat of “Maybe” has even spawned parodies from the Harvard baseball team, to Justin Bieber and his famous friends (which is surprisingly entertaining). Here’s another fun fact: The reason “Call Me Maybe” seemed to shoot to the top of the charts overnight? Justin Bieber tweeted about it. Talk about knowing the right people …

I’ve got to admit, though, my favorite part about “Call Me Maybe” is those sick violins! Seriously, when was the last time you heard a pop song with a mean fiddle-playin’? Yeah, that’s right — never.

And what’s my second favorite thing about this song? The music video! It’s legitimately funny with a M. Night Shyamalan-type twist.

Share some covers! Just not a fan of Jepson's bubblegum pop? Here are a few alternatives:

1) Paradise Fears — You’re going to learn to love them. Besides being a super awesome pop-punk band, they’re beasts at covering Top 40 stuff. Check out their chill rendition of “Maybe”!

2) Ben Howard — For those of you who enjoy raw instrumentals and not overly synthesized pop sounds (psh, weirdos), this may be the cover for you. It’s an entirely revamped version, and it’s awesome.

3) TOP SECRET — I know you’ve seen Obama’s “Call Me Maybe,” but what about the — wait for it — _'Star Wars' version?! I know, right? Spoiler alert: There will be lawlz.

Still don’t dig it? My little sister cracked me up when she jokingly sang, “It’s hard to look right at ‘your’ baby”! It’s the perfect song to goof up the words of and make your own parody. Who knows, you could be the next biggest YouTube sensation.

And, even if you and your bros are too embarrassed to admit you like the song, you can’t deny it’s the perfect song to jam to in the privacy of your car. So roll up those tinted windows, turn up the volume and belt it, maybe.