Boys Like Girls back on the radar

Boys Like Girls is back! After a year's hiatus, the band has written new music, acquired a new member and is ready to start touring again. With the band’s career at an all-time high, it’s only fitting its upcoming album is titled Crazy World.

The road to making Crazy World has been anything but easy. A year after the release of the band’s second album, Love Drunk, rumors had surfaced the band would start writing new material, but there was no official word from the band itself. On Sept. 1, 2010, the band posted on its official YouTube page that the members were going back to the studio. By December 2010, Boys Like Girls had finished writing all songs that would be included on the band's upcoming album.

In early 2011 there was no sign of a release date, and rumors quickly spread saying Boys Like Girls had broken up. Neither the band nor its management team confirmed or denied the rumors. By June, lead singer Martin Johnson had started debuting solo material on KISS FM and, on 96.1 KISS FM, said the band would be going on an “indefinite hiatus.”

Meanwhile, lead guitarist Paul DiGiovanni created his own clothing line, Black Carbon Custom, and bassist Bryan Donahue worked with another band, Early Morning Blues.

By November 2011, it looked like the boys were approaching the Emerald City. At 4:17 a.m. on Nov. 17, Johnson posted on Twitter “…#boyslikegirlsisback.” The upcoming album brought with it one major change, though — Donahue left the band. Rock Sound Magazine reported Johnson claimed the reason for this change was that “Bryan [was] being too focused on his side projects, Early Morning Blues and The Tower and the Fool.”

On July 17, 2012, Crazy World EP was released on iTunes. The EP features three songs from the band's upcoming album, Crazy World, out this fall. Fans will be able to listen to “Be Your Everything,” “Life of the Party” and “The First Time.”

Crazy World EP provides a sneak peek of what to expect on the band's upcoming album and shows how the tracks will be different from what the band has previously produced. “Be Your Everything,” the album’s first single, demonstrates Johnson’s vocal range, showing how much better his voice has become. Boys Like Girls has always been known for its catchy songs, and this one fits that category. This track is similar in nature to their ballad “Two is Better Than One” from their album Love Drunk.

“Life of the Party” marks Boys Like Girls’ newfound creativity, expanding the band's sound to a country-inspired tune. It features Morgan Dorr, the band’s new bassist, who provides some vocals on the track. The upbeat dance song features catchy lines that will make listeners want to get up and dance.

“The First Time” continues Johnson’s streak of amazing vocals, telling the story of when he went back to his hometown for the first time. The song opens with the sound of an electric piano, providing yet another dynamic sound from the band and adding to its repertoire of great music.

Each song on the EP has a powerful chorus and energy that makes it seem as though Boys Like Girls never took a break. Crazy World might be the career-defining record Boys Like Girls is looking for.