Ke$ha musically strips down on “Deconstructed”

Apparently, Ke$ha can actually sing.

Earlier this month, Ke$ha released the acoustic EP Deconstructed featuring five songs from previous albums and a Dolly Parton cover. Yes, this coming from the Ke$ha who spells her name with a dollar sign instead of an “S” and is synonymous for her party-centric songs. Deconstructed proves there is more to Ke$ha’s talky rapping and auto-tuned voice that have become her trademark.

Take, for example, “Blow.” The EP’s second track is haunting as an acoustic version. The sole instrument on the track is a piano and Ke$ha’s voice is raw, showing no signs of auto-tune. Looks like things aren’t all glitter and parties for the singer.

Fan favorite “The Harold Song” even includes a tremor in Ke$ha’s voice that reveals her emotional side, according to idolator.com. “They say that true love hurts / Well this could almost kill me / Young love / Murdered / That is what this must be / I would give it all to not be sleeping alone,” she sings. “The Harold Song” is somewhat reminiscent of Taylor Swift’s song “Hey Stephen,” minus the country flair and banjo player (Though if there were two singers that all guys should be wary about dating, it would be Swift and Ke$ha).

The only song on Deconstructed that isn’t a Ke$ha original is Dolly Parton’s “Old Flames Can’t Hold a Candle to You.” Ironically, this song was written by Hugh Moffatt and Pebe Sebert, Ke$ha’s mother.

Undoubtedly, the track “Supernatural” has the most interesting backstory. The singer revealed on Ryan Seacrest’s radio show that the song is about having sex ... with a ghost.

Um … okay, Ke$ha. Whatever you say.

All in all, Deconstructed is an eye-opener for those who think they know the real Ke$ha. The five tracks, raw and emotional, show that Ke$ha is more than an auto-tuned musical sensation.