An all-time high for All Time Low

Quirky titles, unique one-liners and catchy melodies: Thus is the essence of All Time Low. The band's new album, Don’t Panic, released Oct. 9, shows the band’s evolution back to its roots.

The album’s lead single — “For Baltimore,” an ode to the members’ hometown — sets the stage for the rest of the tracks on the album. With a lighthearted and catchy beat, “For Baltimore” can be compared to All Time Low's earlier material. It’s fast-paced and has a combination of catchy hooks that will make fans want to listen to the song again and again.

“Somewhere in Neverland,” the second single, highlights lead singer Alex Gaskarth’s strength in creating clever lyrics. It’s a love song about running away with the person you’re in a relationship with. The chorus goes: “Wendy, run away with me / I know I sound crazy / Don't you see what you do to me? / I want to be your lost boy / Your last chance / A better reality.” This song allows listeners to reminisce about their own love lives and the memories and regrets associated with those times.

Although there are a couple of love songs on the record, Gaskarth also sings about the struggles the band faced when it was just starting out in the music industry. “The Reckless and the Brave” describes the band's struggle getting out of suburbia and getting people to believe in the band: “Breaking out at a town called Suburbia / I remember everybody always saying, / 'Little brat must be crazy never making it / In our vicious little world' / Still I’m leaving.” “So Long Soldier” is another track on the album that describes All Time Low's struggle to stardom.

Don’t Panic captures the spirit of the youthful, carefree feelings associated with being a teenager. There are a few collaborations on the album, but unless listeners know what they are looking for, they wouldn’t know the songs are collaborations. Cassadee Pope of Hey Monday, Anthony Raneri of Bayside and Jason Vena of Acceptance are on the record but are barely audible on the tracks they are featured on.

Loyal fans shouldn’t feel discouraged if they have been listening to All Time Low since the band's beginning. The new album brings back the band's signature sound and memories of older tracks such as “Dear Maria, Count Me In” and “Jasey Rae.”