Album Review: '#3' by The Script

I’m not really sure about how the past few weeks have been for everyone else, but mine have been filled with tests, papers, projects, impossible deadlines, copious amounts of caffeine and one thing that made all the others better: a fresh copy of The Script’s new album, #3.

As my roommates can attest, every time my headphones have been in or I’ve been in my car, it is a solid guess I have a new Script song turned up. And if I’m not near any of those things, you can probably find me singing or humming their new songs, which isn’t necessarily a good thing.

Besides being a hopeless fangirl, it is safe to say The Script brought back its signature style and meaningful lyrics in its third album, #3 (fitting title, yes?). It is also a bit closer to the chest than the band's previous albums have been.

With “Science & Faith” the band took on a lot of big issues through “Science & Faith,” “This = Love,” “For the First Time” and “Nothing.” Everything, from unemployment to the true meaning of love and from the clash of science and religion to the universal break-up, was successfully made into beautiful melodies and catchy lyrics. But Danny and Mark brought most of their songs on the new album noticeably closer to their own interests.

“If You Could See Me Now” depicts Danny and Mark's personal struggles of losing their parents. It also contains more emotions and personal facts about them than any interview or appearance ever could. Listening to the song makes me feel like I’m creeping on their lives and, more importantly, their struggles. It’s also so beautifully written that every time I hear it, I have the intense urge to burst into tears.

“Six Degrees of Separation” gives a glimpse into Danny’s rather public breakup from his model girlfriend and tells the true steps of the end of a relationship. It is also so catchy it makes for the perfect song, and in my opinion, it should have been released as the band's first single.

“Glowing” and “No Words” serve as the effortlessly adorable love ballads. The Script delivers its signature sound that mashes up hip-hop lyrics and rhythms with ballad music. “No Words” addresses many of the larger issues brought up in “Science & Faith” but brings it all back to one relationship and one moment.

“Millionaires” doesn’t seem like a standout track immediately. It doesn’t jump out, and it doesn’t scream at you. It sneaks up, and after a few listens, you realize the song might have found the truest things in life: “Walking these streets like they’re paved with gold / Any old excuses not to go / Neither of us wants to take that taxi home / Singing our hearts out / Standing on chairs / Spending our time like we are millionaires.” I’m pretty sure that is what life is supposed to be about — spending your time like you’re going to live forever doing stupid things with people you love. That’s college life, at least.

Personally, I would say that top to bottom, this album is amazing, but I can see how you could say, however unconvincingly, there are some tracks that aren’t completely wonderful. Take “Give the Love Around.” There is too much talking and rapping in this song, which, one could argue, makes this song a bit awkward and strange.

I, however, am of the opinion this album is The Script’s best, most cohesive album. There are songs that hit you right in your heart and songs that make you want to sing along. There is something in this album for everyone. And while you’re looking for it, you’ll get lost in all the other great things in it. Then you’ll end up like me, with an iTunes play count of 1 million for all Script songs and fangirl tendencies that can never be tamed.