Rebelution brings together musical tastes at The Blue Note

Waiting in anticipation, the crowd’s cheers were greeted by the funky, reggae sound of Rebelution on Thursday night at The Blue Note.

Immediately thrown into a world of classic reggae with a rock/dub twist, the audience sang along and grooved to Rebelution’s high-energy set. The Californian natives evoked a genuine passion concerning its music, which helped to set the overall personal, forget-all-your-problems atmosphere. Accompanying this chill mood, Rebelution’s rock undertones and meaningful lyrics make it easy to see the group's appeal to a diverse audience.

Throughout the night, the band played old favorites, such as “Attention Span,” along with a fair amount of newer songs from its most recent album, Bright Side of Life.

After the band was through with its set, it seemed the band and the crowd both weren’t ready for the night to be over. Soon enough screams for one more song filled the room. The empty stage then lit up as Rebelution walked onto the stage with looks of surprise, but enthusiasm to entertain its fans for just a while longer.

“You guys brought it tonight," vocalist and guitar player Eric Rachmany said to the crowd. "I gotta give it up to you guys.”

The band then exceeded its fans expectations of an encore by playing more than just one song.

Bringing a diverse crowd together through the power of their fun yet raw reggae sound, Rebelution successfully provided Columbia with the last shades of summer.