True/False movie review: ‘Stand Clear of the Closing Doors’

“Stand Clear of the Closing Doors” is the telling of a fictitious tale that incorporates the everyday dilemmas people have — that is, everyday if you’re an impoverished mother living in America illegally with an autistic son and hormonal teenage daughter.

The film starts out with Ricky, the autistic teenager whom the film centers around, finding refuge on a Brooklyn beach, tossing specks of bread to birds. The simplicity of this scene sets the tone for a film that is anything but simple. The imagery shown through the cinematography of this film shows the audience the difficulty of suffering from this disorder, along with the difficulties that family members face.

Ricky, unhappy with the current state of his living arrangements, goes out on a limb and heads towards the (in)famous subway system of New York City. It is there that he goes missing, distressing his already plenty stressed mother and leaving his sister with the consequences and the guilt of not picking him up after school.

Once roaming the city underground, Ricky becomes fully absorbed of his surroundings, which include the weirdest and most marvelous of sights and sounds that only a subway can offer. He is looked after, picked on — and all the while seemingly oblivious to his current state of well-being.

The tension at home is met with the city’s tension towards the coming of Hurricane Sandy. While searching for her son, Ricky’s mother is met with a whirlwind of emotions, worrying about her family’s illegal-immigrant status and still making ends meet while her son is nowhere to be found in a city that shows no mercy.

As the storyline continues, there are some bleak spots, on top of a few slightly too long scenes.

Besides its minimal drawbacks, “Stand Clear of the Closing Door” is a movie merely about people. It is a fascinating story of the power of family love and the attempt to find oneself through the imagination only a NYC subway can supply.

MOVE gives “Stand Clear of the Closing Door” 3 out of 5 stars.