True/False movie review: ‘Private Violence’

In certain parts of our country, domestic violence seems to take on the “don’t ask, don’t tell” role, as situations of unnecessary pain and suffering are deemed a private matter not worthy of real attention. “Private Violence” takes this thought and obliterates it, as director Cynthia Hill bases her movie around two strong women with one goal: ending the abuse, once and for all.

In “Private Violence,” Kit Gruelle, a longtime advocate for beaten woman and former victim herself, shows us how to respond to these daily injustices and how to bring the atrocious figures accountable for the violence to justice. Gruelle is a character who looks to the seemingly helpless and gives help in a big way.

As someone who has seen and felt the beatings firsthand, Kit finds Deanna Walters, whose bravery against her own personal horrifying abuse becomes the center of the film, and helps her grasp onto the idea of hope — hope for a better life, with no one holding control over her.

There are countless brutalities in this movie, as we see everyday people in the light of their own turmoil, and the intensity of the matter is felt deeply by audiences. For viewers who may stand against domestic abuse, this film gives the gritty image of the bruised woman.

Painted beautifully on the mountains of rural North Carolina, “Private Violence” holds a weary, quivering guitar sound as its base for the documentary’s score that transcends a touching feel for a less than touching subject.

Cinema has the opportunity to make a person feel emotion incomparable to anything else, and “Private Violence” excels in just that. It educates, invigorates and speaks of hope in a touching and promising way.

MOVE gives “Private Violence” 4.5 out of 5 stars.