My Roommates' Netflix: Watch this, not that

“Breaking Bad” is an awesome show, but everyone knows that. It’s hard to make a show about meth and cancer uninteresting, and they don’t do just that... they make it really interesting. It’s gripping and dramatic, but also pretty funny, and if you’ve ever seen "Malcolm in the Middle," it’ll be fun to make jokes about how Frankie Muniz’s dad is a meth cook.

The only problem I have with this show, and it’s a pretty big problem with every form of media in general, is that the women in the show are purposefully and universally unlikeable. I’m told they get better as you get deeper into the series, but they really do have an unaffectionate light placed on them. They can pretty much only be described with four-letter words, and they serve as nasty antagonists to the men in their lives. It’s not misogynistic, it’s just really negative, and it’s been getting on my nerves.  

I watched four minutes of “Daydream Nation” with Kat Dennings (the girl from “2 Broke Girls” or “Kat Dennings’ Cleavage,” as it should be named) and it was terrible. So don’t watch that if you respect yourself. Don’t watch it if you don’t respect yourself either, because I’m here to look out for your best interests. Thank me later. I stopped watching when they got to the scene of four high school kids smoking weed in a van, because that’s about as unimaginative as it gets. “Dazed and Confused” came out a long time ago, and that trope has played out.

There’s a cool documentary on Conan O’Brien and what he did during the six month period after the tonight show where he was prohibited from being on TV. It’s cool if you like Conan or remember the way the whole Jay Leno vs. Conan thing went down, but if you don’t think Conan’s funny, you’re probably not going to think that this is funny.

“House of Cards,” the Netflix original show, is really, really good. It pushes lines that only shows on the premium networks can, and obviously has a higher accessibility than those do. Honestly, though, I find it to be a little hard to handle in concentrated doses (David Fincher and Kevin Spacey are an intense combination), so I’m only on episode six. Regardless, I think everyone should watch it, if only to because it’s probably the first step in a new wave of series, and the first step in a TV revolution of sorts. Also, it has Spacey, and everyone should watch everything with Spacey, because he’s absolutely incredible and I love him. A word of warning, though: prepare to be really cynical afterwards, because it is pretty much the opposite of a nice and happy look at American politics. I would recommend splicing episodes of “House of Cards” with “The West Wing” in order to not lose faith in the government entirely.

“Butter,” a movie about carving butter, is great to watch if you hate Jennifer Garner (like anyone who saw “Elektra”) or have been looking for a reason to hate Jennifer Garner (but you don’t want to watch “Elektra”). It’s entertaining, though Garner’s character is almost incomprehensibly unlikable. Hugh Jackman is in it, but only kind of, so, that’s a thing.

Also, if you don’t do anything else with your life, watch the Spike Jonze movies. “Being John Malkovich” is one of the funniest movies I’ve ever seen, along with probably being the most ridiculous. Once you accept the premise and let it engross you, it’s an absolute riot of a film. “Adaptation” is also absolutely incredible, if for no other reason that featuring two Nicolas Cages and a scene where Meryl Streep snorts cocaine. It also contains the greatest moment in movie history, in which Nicolas Cage walks in on Nicolas Cage masturbating.

That’s all I’ve got. I’ll be back when I’m back.