Famous directors hone their skills in music videos

For those of you smart enough not to waste your Sunday on MTV’s Video Music Awards, allow me to assure you that it was a severe let down after the Kanye/Swift Debacle of 2009. The performances were boring and Chelsea Handler’s startling racist jokes were pretty painful. With the failure of this year’s VMAs, it’s a wonder that a network that uses a mere fraction of viewing time for actual music videos continues pouring money into such a useless occasion.

It’s not even the fact that the VMAs try so hard to be an important pop culture event, it’s that the award show isn’t even doing what it sets out to do. Instead of honoring those who actually make the music videos, the network shoved a meaningless Moon-Man at the artist who stood in front of the camera. No offense to some music artists who play an integral role, but here are a few famous film directors that got their start in the thankless career of music video directing:

Michel Gondry: With eccentric films such as "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and "Be Kind Rewind," it’s no wonder why Gondry has been brandished as a flag for the indie crowd. Then you realize that he has been spending years honing his playful, innovative style since the late eighties with music videos.

Must See Videos: Chibo Matto’s "Sugar Water," The White Stripes’ "The Denial Twist" and Gary Jules’ "Mad World."

Spike Jonze: Another indie darling, Jonze has slowly been building a career with films like cult favorite "Being John Malkovich," Oscar winner "Adaptation" and last year’s polarizing adaptation of "Where the Wild Things Are." Jonze’s off kilter style and music saturated films draw a clear line to his music video past.

Must See Videos: The Beastie Boys’ "Sabotage," Bjork’s "It’s Oh So Quiet" and Fatboy Slim’s "Weapon of Choice."

David Fincher: I don’t feel like it’s too much of a leap to say that "Fight Club" is one of the most influential films of our generation. A film that so easily captures the praise of critics and audiences is hard to come by. With films that rely heavily on ambiance, like "Fight Club" and "Se7en," it’s easy to see how Fincher cut his directorial teeth with music videos.

Must See Videos: George Micheal’s "Freedom ’90," Madonna’s "Vogue" and A Perfect Circle’s "Judith."

Comments (0)