Lucia looks at the industry: April 5

“Mass Effect 3” ending DLC due out this summer

BioWare announced “Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut” today. It will be a free download that will give gamers “deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes" by adding "cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes.” The DLC will be out this summer, but you have until April 12, 2014 to get it for free.

According to GameSpot, BioWare founder Ray Muzyka sees the DLC as striking “a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team's artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe."

BioWare’s FAQ builds on Muzyka’s statement: “The goal of the DLC is not to provide a new ending to the game, rather to offer fans additional context and answers to the end of Commander Shepard’s story."

Expect DLC to further conclude the game, but not to change the ending.

And as a last note from Game Informer, no more “Mass Effect 3” ending DLC is planned after “Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut.”

Nintendo responds to Wii U power

Nintendo neither confirmed nor denied the rumors that the Wii U will be weaker than the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360, but instead told Yahoo’s Digital Trends, “We do not focus on technology specs. We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers.” It looks like it’s about play, not power, for Nintendo.

Additional DLC announcements

“Kingdoms of Amalur: Teeth of Naros”: This second downloadable expansion for “Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning” places you on a journey in a new city called Idylla. You’ll get “more than twenty side quests, multiple dungeons and a new race of giants known as the Kollossae” as well as “earn three new Twists of Fate, nine new armor sets, six new shields and eighteen new unique weapons,” according to IGN. The DLC comes out April 17 for 800 XBLA points or $9.99 on PSN.

“Civilization V: Gods & Kings”: Add religion back into the gameplay as well as more leaders, units and technologies with this “Civilization V” DLC. This will launch on June 19. Source: IGN.

“Uncharted 3” Online DLC: Four new multiplayer maps will come with DLC, to hit stores on April 10. The maps are “Graveyard, Old Quarter, London Streets and Oasis, and each will feature new dynamic events that occur as matches progress,” according to IGN. The DLC is $9.99 for non-Fortune Hunters’ Club members and free otherwise.

Fun video

No, “The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim” videos are not over, and probably won’t be for a long time. This YouTube video illustrates a blockbuster quality reproduction of the main “Skyrim” theme—if the term blockbuster can be applied to something as short as YouTube videos. It was also made with one voice, one violin and 120 tracks.