Lucia looks at the industry: March 13

Crytek teases AAA game

According to GameSpot, Crytek’s general manager, Nick Button-Brown, confirmed a “big budget” game will be announced in April for both consoles and PCs. Button-Brown said, "You know about Homefront, you know about Ryse. We are working on another project… [laughs] all three of which are looking really good…The other project looks absolutely fantastic--I mean, genuinely the best of that kind of project we've ever done."

GameSpot speculates it could either be a new “Crysis” title or a “Time Splitters 4.”

New “Pokémon” game trademarked

Although no news has been released, Game Freak, Nintendo and Creature Inc. have filed for a trademark of the name “Pokémon Adventure Camp.”

Mojang and Bethesda settle lawsuit over “Scrolls” name

Because of the similarity between the name of Mojang’s “Scrolls” and Bethesda’s “Elder Scrolls,” Bethesda filed a lawsuit. After six months, that lawsuit has been resolved. The result was this: Mojang’s game can be called “Scrolls” but the trademark for Scrolls is Bethesda’s.

According to GameSpot, Mojang’s managing director, Carl Manneh, said, "For us, this was never about a trademark, but being able to use Scrolls as the name of our game, which we can."

IGN also commented that Zenimax “licensed the 'Scrolls' mark to Mojang to be used solely in conjunction with its existing Scrolls digital card game and any add-on material it makes to that game." IGN also noted, “the press release also stated that this does not grant them permission to use the name for any sequels.”

Peter Molyneux leaves, ex-Sony’s Phil Harrison joins Microsoft

Peter Molyneus was Microsoft’s head of Game Studios in Europe, and after his departure, Phil Harrison joined the Interactive Entertainment Business team at Microsoft as corporate vice president. According to GameSpot, a Microsoft representative indicated, "Phil's role on the IEB leadership team is completely unrelated to Peter's departure.”

According to IGN, Harrison had this to say about the position: "I am excited to be joining the senior team at Microsoft at a pivotal time for our industry... I am really impressed with the company's long-term vision for growing the market for interactive entertainment globally and also with the incredible wealth of talent, technology and resources the company has available to succeed."

Move innovation or — just dumb?

Doug Wilson makes ridiculous games like “Johann Sebastian Joust” where you play a game like Ninja seen around campus, but if you move your hand with the PlayStation Move controller too fast, you’re out. In a similar concept of a motion game, Doug created “Dog the Wag” where you crouch on all fours and wag your tail and wrestle others to gain points. See the video on Kotaku to see what madness I’m trying to describe to you.

Fun photos

Want to see what Tim Schafer, that game maker who raised $3 million on Kickstarter, is doing with all the newfound money? Well, as a prank (don’t think he’s actually wasting your money), Double Fine Productions put together a series of cliché money wasting photos that should rouse a laugh out of you. Click here to see them on VentureBeat.

Comments (0)