Lucia Looks at the Industry: Feb. 28

iPad 3 nearing release

Best Buy has dropped iPad 2 prices by $50. This might seem arbitrary, but it is happening two weeks before the rumored Apple announcement on March 7. And just two weeks after the announcement, the iPad 3 should hit markets (perhaps inducing a larger price drop). IGN has more coverage on the rumors and speculations here. Original source: a different IGN article.

Also in iPad news, a Chinese company called Proview Shenzhen is trying to prevent Apple from selling the iPad in China. Kotaku has the full story, but here’s a snippet I find most important:

“Previously, Kotaku reported that Proview, which developed an "iPad" desktop computer years ago, felt deceived by Apple's agreement and is trying to top the company from using the iPad moniker—even though Proview went bust. There must be more to it than that, no?

"My biggest wish is to resolve all these frustrating problems and put them behind me," Yang Long-san told Reuters. "If we can resolve all the problems we have now and I have a chance to make a comeback, I'd still want to overtake my old competitors."”

Vita sold 1.2 million units worldwide

I mean, in case you were interested, the news is exactly as the title said, the Sony has sold 1.2 million Vita units since its release in Japan, Europe and the United States. As comparison, the Nintendo 3DS sold 3.6 million copies in its first month sold worldwide, approximately. Comparisons are hard to make considering how long the 3DS was launched in Japan before hitting the U.S. and how the same time span differs with the Vita. Source: IGN.

Surprise! "Wii Fit" won’t make you fit

The Wii revolutionized video game controls via motion, thus creating the idea in many purchasers that the Wii would make you a more active gamer. The release of “Wii Fit” only reinforced that idea in many minds. However, researchers in Houston have revealed a different take.

In a study designed to see if kids received more physical activity if they played more physical games, kids were either given a Wii and “Wii Sports” or “Dance Dance Revolution” or a Wii and inactive games like “Super Mario Galaxy.”

After the study, it was found that “kids in the active game group got an average of 25 to 28 minutes of moderate or vigorous physical activity each day — compared to between 26 and 29 minutes in the inactive video game group,” according to Reuters.

Additional Source: Kotaku.

PlayStation Network down Thursday

On Thursday, March 1 from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. PST, the PSN will be down for maintenance. From this time, “users won’t be able to access the PlayStation Store, PlayStation Home, Account Management or play online,” according to the PlayStation Blog.

This is a month before the scheduled consolidation from the PSN to the newly named SNEA (Sony Network Entertainment America).

Fun Video

Do you have a desktop computer? Do you not like how your computer looks? This YouTube video shows the process Richard “Dr. Builder” Clinton went through to make a 16-bit Link from “Legend of Zelda” into his computer casing. More cases can be seen on his Facebook page. Source: IGN.

Comments (0)