Lucia Looks at the Industry: Feb. 14

I received “The Jak and Daxter Collection” for Valentine’s Day. My life is complete. Yours won’t be until you read these:

Think you know the best gaming endings ever?

Well, did “Call of Duty: Black Ops” top your list? Because if they didn’t, you might not know as much as you think you do. “Black Ops” was voted the game with the best ending by Guinness Book of World Records: Gamer’s Edition voters. Click here for a list of the top 50 game endings.

Realism in games is reaching new detail

During a speech at the DICE summit today, according to Game Informer, the creator of the Unreal Engine, Tim Sweeney, stated that lifelike graphics will happen during our lifetime.

Check out this paragraph from the Game Informer article: “To reach the level where computers are capable of producing truly lifelike approximations, Sweeney estimates that we need roughly 2,000 times the computational power of today's best graphics hardware. This level of processing power still doesn't account for human thought, movement, speech, personality, or intent, so there is still a lot of room to progress with artificial intelligence on top of the idealized graphics. Sweeney thinks we'll need a few more console generations to reach this level of fidelity.”

However, this might come at the cost of having the game streamed across a server rather than having a console in your living room. In similar news, get ready to see the Unreal Engine 4 revealed later this year.

Social games and the market

Are you annoyed with games like “Call of Duty” and “Battlefield” taking the spotlight when the most they offer is a social multiplayer experience? What about those awful little Facebook games? Maybe you’re even a little peeved that developers are spending their resources on mobile games instead of bigger franchises. Not all developers are of that mindset, thankfully. “Shadows of the Damned” director Massimo Guarini had this to say (in his blog) about the “social,” “freemium” and “in-app purchases” in place of content-centered games:

"Excited as little kids, we are literally distracting both users and investors away from the core of our industry, in favor of an obsessive and simplistic analysis of some business development trends. Ultimately, it's all about the content. That’s what our customers are paying for,” he said.

Source: Gamespot

“Let the dream of flying become real”

The quote above is from this YouTube video, which illustrates what “Microsoft Flight Simulator” will offer to users. This unique simulation gives you the opportunity to pretend to be a pilot in the most complex or simple way possible, and is something not to be missed. Check out this site on Feb. 29 to get the free version.

Fun Fact

If your old SNES games have been collecting dust in your closet because of their lack of mobile gameplay, look no further! If it has been because they are old and no longer fun, keep searching. The SupaBoy is a handheld device that has a slot large enough to fit your SNES cartridge. The handheld device is a SNES controller with a screen in the middle. If this interests you, click this link to IGN in order to hear and see/watch more about the product.

Comments (0)