Lucia Looks at the Industry: Feb. 1

It’s hump day. Notice this isn’t capitalized, so it’s not a national holiday. It only means Wednesday. If you couldn’t stand that humor, I wouldn’t even try reading today’s M-rated Fun Fact. Read on:

It’s official this time

Despite earlier rumors Kaz Hirai both was and wasn’t the new Sony president, it has now been confirmed by Sony that Hirai has the position. To hear more words of wisdom from Hirai, check out this Game Informer article.

Zynga is a magnet for trouble for good reason

In an earlier “Lucia Looks at the Industry” post, I mentioned NimbleBit was calling out Zynga for developing an app that was nearly identical to the NimbleBit’s “Tiny Tower.” According to GamesBeat, Zynga’s chief executive Mark Pincus has now responded by saying, “We don’t need to be first to market. We need to be the best to market. There are genres that we’re going to enter because we know our players are interested in them and because we want and need to be where players are. We evolve genres by making games free, social, accessible and highest quality.” This seems like a good way to cover up the fact that you copied, Pincus.

NimbleBit also agrees with me. As NimbleBit’s Ian Marsh said in an interview with Touch Arcade, “It is a smart idea for Mark Pincus and Zynga to try and lump all games with the name Tower together as an actual genre whose games borrow from each other. Unfortunately sharing a name or setting does not a genre make. The games Pincus mentions couldn't be more different. 'Sim Tower' is a true 'sim' with macroscopic management and fine tuning of a building's facilities. 'Tower Bloxx' is a timing based high score game.” Marsh goes on to list all the similarities between the Zynga’s tower game and its own, which further helps solidify Zynga’s precarious position.

Modding “Skyrim” made easier than ever

Bethesda is releasing a user Creation Kit on Steam for the PC version of “The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim” to enable users to use the same tools they used to create the beautiful world that surrounds “Skyrim.” If you want to watch a preview video for the Creation Kit, click this link to view the clip.

Looking for some entertainment?

Look no further! Andy Richter imitates some voiceover work on "Conan." Need a break from the seriousness that is “The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim”? Check out this clip.

Fun Fact

As reported by Game Informer, the game title “Conception: Please Have My Baby” really exists. Phil Kollar writes “According to a report by Andriasang, the brilliantly titled “Conception: Please Have My Baby” is an RPG where players take on the role of a high school student who must reproduce with twelve girls to create 'star children' that will help him through dungeons. I typed all of that with a straight face somehow.” Wow, just wow.