Cutting calories doesn't have to taste bad

Labor Day has come and gone. You’re no longer reading poolside, but rather in comfy clothes after your second or third latte. You might be tempted to let yourself put on a couple pounds and blame it on class, but don’t.

Now I’m not saying you need to lose weight, but it’s not only freshmen who gain the Mizzou 22 or freshman 15. Those lattes pack a lot of calories. 190 to be exact if you’re getting the Grande Starbucks variety. If you’re a sucker for their holiday specials, note the iced peppermint white chocolate mocha contains 400 calories.

It’s perfectly simple to navigate through all the near-by-campus restaurants and find the healthier choices.

Ninth Street, for instance, is within walking distance of campus and contains quite a few eateries. If you’re looking to be socially responsible in addition to healthy, there’s Kaldi’s Coffe, Lakota and Main Squeeze. All places serve either fair trade or local food.

Main Squeeze specifically serves only local, organically produced food. They’re completely vegetarian, vegan friendly and its smoothies are amazing. Main Squeeze recipes might pack on the calories, but they’re filling and organic.

There are plenty of soup and sandwich restaurants very close to campus too. Subway, Panera Bread, Ingredient and WhichWich are all located along Ninth Street, offering quick and possibly low-cal lunch solutions. Most sandwich toppings aren’t high in calories or fat, it’s the saucy condiments and cheese that create high calorie counts with sandwiches.

On campus isn’t bad either. Many buildings have small cafés located inside, most of which offer soups, sandwiches and pastries to go along with its coffee and smoothies. Don’t buy the pastries and you should be fine.

If you’re a dining hall dweller try the obvious option of loading up at the salad bar if none of the main courses look light.

Curious about what you’re eating? You can find the health content and calorie counts. Try caloriecount.about.com or dietfacts.com.

Comments (0)